Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default stock tie rods won't come off

any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which part are you attempting to remove?

If it's the ends I can help you out as I've done both of mine recently. To get it out of the spindle you need to use something like a pulley puller. Make sure you take out the cotter pin and remove the castle nut first. It's also a good idea to mark the location of the castle nut. There's a part that sticks up on the spindle by where the tie rod attaches to. Place the puller over it with the rod of the puller on the top of the tie rod end. It should pop off rather easily, just keep turning until it pops off.

To get the rod end off was a pain in the *** for me. I didn't realize that the end and the nut on the inside were actually two seperate pieces. They were so dirty I couldn't tell the difference and didn't notice until I took the new one out of the box. DOH! You actually have to tighten the nut on the inside to get it off. You should also mark the location of the nut before you remove it. This will help keep your alignment close. Then, all you have to do is unscrew the tie rod end and screw the new one on. Just work backwards from there.

Good things to have:
Chiltons Manual!
**** tons of WD40
Sharpie
Old 06-26-2007, 03:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you trying to get the tie rod out of the spindle?
If you are going to put new ones on anyway you can get out your BFH and whack it on the top where the castle nut goes on.
You don't want to do this if you plan on reusing them though you risk buggering up the threads.
A pickle fork works well in this instance too.

A hot tip. Break your lock nuts loose BEFORE you take the rod from the spindle.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by revtime
A hot tip. Break your lock nuts loose BEFORE you take the rod from the spindle.
Yeah, that helps 100000%. If you don't the thing whole assembly will spin while you attempt to back the nut off.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

i am trying to unthread the whole thing off the inner tie rod to put on new baer rod ended tie rods. i couldnt loosen them up because the inner tie rod just keeps spinning.

and what lock nuts are you talking about exactly?

and thanks for the replies
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i am trying to unthread the whole thing off the inner tie rod to put on new baer rod ended tie rods. i couldnt loosen them up because the inner tie rod just keeps spinning.

and what lock nuts are you talking about exactly?

and thanks for the replies
You must be trying to loosen the nut that snugs up against the tie rod after you removed the tie rod end from the spindle. If so just place it back in the spindle and you actually have to "tighten" the inner nut to get it to back off of the tie rod end.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
You must be trying to loosen the nut that snugs up against the tie rod after you removed the tie rod end from the spindle. If so just place it back in the spindle and you actually have to "tighten" the inner nut to get it to back off of the tie rod end.
i haven't removed anything yet. the tie rod end is just suspended in teh air and i'm trying to remove it but the inner tie rod just keeps spinning and i can't grip it to loosen the tie rod end. does anyone know how to loosen it? thanks
Old 06-30-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Perhaps we are not being clear.
You HAVE removed the tie rod from the spindle or it would not be spinning.
Unless I am totally clueless as to what part you are referring to.

Pics might help us out.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i haven't removed anything yet. the tie rod end is just suspended in teh air and i'm trying to remove it but the inner tie rod just keeps spinning and i can't grip it to loosen the tie rod end. does anyone know how to loosen it? thanks
the part that is suspended in the air has been removed from where it was, so yes....you have removed something....this part was not (or should not have been) suspended in the air during operation of the vehicle. put that part back where it was, and it should help keep the thing from spinning while you are trying to loosen it.

and yes.....lots of WD-40 will help. if it doesn't, try heating up the area where the nut is with a butane torch (obviously, after cleaning off all the WD-40, or you'll have a nice little bonfire) a little to break it loose.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

is the spindle the part the tie rod attaches to the wheel? if so i did disconnect it. are you suggesting i reconnect the tie rod to that piece and then try and loosen it up?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Yes.
I don't wanna seem like a dick but if your having this much trouble maybe you should consider getting help from someone who knows what they are doing or taking the car to someone to get it fixed.
We can only do so much from a keyboard.
The front suspension is very important to the safety of the vehicle. I would not want to see you get hurt because of a bad installation.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by revtime
Yes.
I don't wanna seem like a dick but if your having this much trouble maybe you should consider getting help from someone who knows what they are doing or taking the car to someone to get it fixed.
We can only do so much from a keyboard.
The front suspension is very important to the safety of the vehicle. I would not want to see you get hurt because of a bad installation.
fair enough... i have the front struts off and i'm installing new shocks and springs so i figured now was the time to do it. the thing is, i wanna learn. i've been taking my car to a mechanic and i haven't learned since.

i'll give it one last try with it attached to the spindle, if it doesn't work, i'll have the shop that does the alignment do the tie rods as well
Old 06-30-2007, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

Re-attach the tie rod to the spindle.

Then get a wrench on the jam nut, and if you're looking towards the middle of the car from the side, turn the wrench clockwise. That nut is not part of the actual tie rod end, its just a jamnut that you need to back away from the tie rod. Once you get that jam nut loose, you should, mark the threads, and then back the outer tie rod end off the inner tie rod end, and put the new one on the same number of turns (to where you marked the threads), reinstall tie rod end to spindle, and then tighten the jamnut.

Take car for a drive down the street slowly, if you can control it easily enough, take it straight to an alignment shop. They'll align it and make sure the tie rods are snugged up properly.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

fair enough... i have the front struts off and i'm installing new shocks and springs so i figured now was the time to do it. the thing is, i wanna learn. i've been taking my car to a mechanic and i haven't learned since.

i'll give it one last try with it attached to the spindle, if it doesn't work, i'll have the shop that does the alignment do the tie rods as well
It should work. And I can sympathize with wanting to learn how to work on these cars. I could not afford this hobby if I did not do 99% of the work myself.
Perhaps there is someone local who knows thier way around a wrench and can help you out. Its the little tricks here and there that can get you out of a jam when doing automotive work.

Just be careful and know your limitations, these are performance cars after all and your not going to just drive around the block doing 20 mph.
Safety first.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Re-attach the tie rod to the spindle.

Then get a wrench on the jam nut, and if you're looking towards the middle of the car from the side, turn the wrench clockwise. That nut is not part of the actual tie rod end, its just a jamnut that you need to back away from the tie rod. Once you get that jam nut loose, you should, mark the threads, and then back the outer tie rod end off the inner tie rod end, and put the new one on the same number of turns (to where you marked the threads), reinstall tie rod end to spindle, and then tighten the jamnut.

Take car for a drive down the street slowly, if you can control it easily enough, take it straight to an alignment shop. They'll align it and make sure the tie rods are snugged up properly.
ah i understand now. it appeared to me that the jamnut was part of the tie rod. thats what confused me. i was trying to loosen the jamnut as if it were part of the tie rod. i think i can get it from here. it makes more sense now.

thanks for sticking with me guys. i know how frustrating it must be to explain something to another person completely ignorant in the terminology. a big to you guys
Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Don't worry, I didn't know it was a separate piece my first time either. Did my first tie rod on my old third gen. Good thing my uncle was around at the time to tell me that jamnut was a separate piece too
Old 07-24-2007, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Which part are you attempting to remove?

If it's the ends I can help you out as I've done both of mine recently. To get it out of the spindle you need to use something like a pulley puller. Make sure you take out the cotter pin and remove the castle nut first. It's also a good idea to mark the location of the castle nut. There's a part that sticks up on the spindle by where the tie rod attaches to. Place the puller over it with the rod of the puller on the top of the tie rod end. It should pop off rather easily, just keep turning until it pops off.

To get the rod end off was a pain in the *** for me. I didn't realize that the end and the nut on the inside were actually two seperate pieces. They were so dirty I couldn't tell the difference and didn't notice until I took the new one out of the box. DOH! You actually have to tighten the nut on the inside to get it off. You should also mark the location of the nut before you remove it. This will help keep your alignment close. Then, all you have to do is unscrew the tie rod end and screw the new one on. Just work backwards from there.

Good things to have:
Chiltons Manual!
**** tons of WD40
Sharpie

Thanks Beaflag VonRathburg, this is all I need to know.

Quick Reply: stock tie rods won't come off