Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

for those who have tried KYB shocks

Old 06-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default for those who have tried KYB shocks

don't post if u havnt tried them. ive heard a couple of bad things and some like them on lowered car. for those who have had them, what have u liked/disliked about them. these are for a daily driver not a auto x or drag car. i dont mind the stock suspension and i am looking at these because they seem alright and more in the price range of me as a college student. if i dont like these, i will probably changed them in a couple of years when im out of school. it just seems like everyone on this site goes with koni's or revalves with out trying anything else and act like they know exactly what everyone needs. thanks everyone. and dont post rude comments.

edit: 01 TA and im installing sportlines.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the kyb agx adjustables and they can't handle my hotchkis springs. You plan on installing sprotlines which lower your car even more than my hotchkis, so I don't think they are capable of damping them. The reason people go with konis and revalves is because they are just wasting money on something that is not up to the task. They are recommended for a reason. If you plan on staying on stock suspension, I'd go with bilsteins. They aren't as expensive as konis but will handle the stock springs okay. My brother has had bilsteins on his stock springs and likes them, but he just ordered some strano springs, so now they gotta go.

I'd give Sam Strano a call. He sells KYB, Bilstein, and Koni shocks, so he can suggest something to your liking.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I had KYB GasAJust shocks with Hotchkis springs for about 15,000 miles.

The good:
They were inexpensive.
At first, they seemed fine.
For a daily driver, they were OK, but nothing special.

The bad:
Over gradual bumps, the car felt like it was floating under me.
Over sharp bumps, I would feel the initial impact, then it would bounce again two or three times.

Now, I'm not sure of the rates off the top of my head, but from everything I've read, the Sportlines have among the softest spring rates around. I know they're softer than the Hotchkis springs I've got, and if the GasAJusts can't keep up with Hotchkis springs, they won't have a prayer against those Sportlines.

Bottom line: I really don't think you'll be happy with the combination you're talking about. This is advice from someone who spent the $150 (roughly) on KYB shocks and ended up spending another $800 not long after on Koni SA's.

That said, I remember what it was like to be a broke college student. I still have the KYB's in the garage, along with my stock dust boots and all the necessary hardware to mount them. If you still want to give them a try, I'll sell them to you for $75 + shipping. This isn't al altogether altruistic offer. I'm getting ready to move in a few months, and the less crap I have to pack and bring with me to the new house, the better.

If you're interested, send me a PM.

-Mike
Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have them with hotchkis and they handle just fine
Old 07-02-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shoemike
i have them with hotchkis and they handle just fine
Thats pretty subjective statment.

Do it right the first time. I was going to go with KYB's and just kept reading about 5 years ago and saw the mistake it would lead too.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

When it comes to suspension, I would definitely listen to the guys who have detailed explainations and experience or have compared more than just stock vs their current setup. Its not a subject to make a forum poll about and choose whatever all the random people gave the most votes to since I bet you most or almost all who voted are comparing their setup to stock.

I haven't tried the combination you are thinking of, but I have a feeling you won't be a big fan of its ride quality. Just look at the springrates compared to other lowering springs that don't even lower the car as much as the Sportlines. You are usually supposed to raise the springrates when you make a lower set of springs, but for some reason Eibach decided to make these rates lower than even the prokit.

Can we persuade you to sacrifice a little bit of ride height for a spring with a better springrate and that will keep you off the bumpstops a little more?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have GMS springs all around and KYB AGX, they seemed pretty good, but then one day one of my rear shocks broke at the bolt and they won't replace it, I will never do business with them again. BUT they do ride pretty comfortable, and for the price I paid I can't expect more, it felt pretty stock for me even with 20inch rims (yes im getting new rims). I will try the Konis next when this really do take a crap on me. I paid 200 bucks for springs and KYB agx so im not complaining
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

I had KYB shocks when I first lowered my car for about two years. The first 6 months they were good, but after that they just slowly started to suck. I know have Bilstein HDs and compared to KYB they are night and day. I would definitly stay away from KYB if you are going to lower your car.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

I drove a V6 car once with KYB AGX and stock springs and it felt really good. But I wouldn't use them with anything more aggressive than that.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Launching!

well i ment to buy the prokit, but when they arrived in the mail a month in a half late as the wrong springs i decided to just keep em. its going to cost alot more money and time to try to resell and rebuy. i have only ever really hear one or 2 people who actually tried kyb. most people are just saying revalves or konis are the only way. i appreciate the responses.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

i've had agx's at all four corners w/ b&g springs. they work decent for a daily driver (i drive 65-75 miles a day) only the FRONT shocks. the rear's suck mega, super king kong hairy *** w/ lowering springs. they CANNOT handle the springs, it will slam the **** out of the rear bump stops on potholes & bumps (moderate-large) which is magnified w/ what speed you're traveling. i finally said **** it and got the 3rd gen koni's from sam for the rear and left the agx's up front for now... getting married soon. anyway, the koni's work awesome on the rear, completely controlled, plus they're not as expensive as the 4th gens and they still have four(i think) adjustments. Take it from someone that has had the agx's on for an extended period of time. At the least buy koni's/bilstein's for the rear. that's my .02 from experience.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shoemike
thats some pretty bad grammer
Don't attack his "grammer" if you cannot spell grammar.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a 3rd gen that had KYB GR2's on the front and Gas-A-Justs on the rear with an Eibach Pro-Kit. The shocks and springs only had a couple hundred miles on them total when I bought the car and I drove it on a 150 mile round trip before I pulled them off of the car.

The car was reasonably pleasant to drive. It handled "decent". I didn't feel like it was going to win any races on track, but it was tossable on exit ramps and around corners without doing anything particularly evil. If I were going to daily drive this car, I'd have probably left them until they wore out or started to irritate me (after wearing out). They are not Koni's, but they were tolerable and inexpensive. However, this is a third gen and my KYB's were basically new. I don't know how they hold up and I don't know that I'd pair them with Sportlines due to the low ride height and soft spring rate. I've not tried them with Sportlines or on a 4th gen (I had DA's on my 4th gen and have SA's on my 3rd gen now), but I'd have some worries about ride quality and bottoming out.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Launching!

well i was coming around to the revalves from sam, but i emailed him about it and never got a reply. arnt these shocks valved for the specific brand spring u have? because i might switch my sportlines in the future if they are too much but dont want to get screwed with shocks valved for sportlines. i dont think it will be a big difference. what do u guys think?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Im quite certain that Sam prefers talking on the telephone because he said its hard to justify answering all of the emails he gets personally because half of the people dont bother ever ordering anything from him. He is active on this board and a very helpful sponsor when it comes to 4th gen suspension components,thats for sure.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Launching!

yea. i wasn't emplying bad feedback. i think he responded to my first email from a few weeks ago. i know i could call. i just figured someone reading the thread could get a quick answer. by the way, this is a good thread. i've searched many threads and never found this kind of info from regular people with daily drivers. im still thinking revalves maybe, but i got a lot of good info for the kyb's.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

In seriously considering getting some KYB AGXs for the v6 car (which is currently my daily driver) and putting those on there with the stock springs. The rears that are on the car right now (and all around for that matter) have 110k on them and bounce so bad. I want to kill myself. Like sam said, given the choice between KYBs and stock, he would go with the KYBs so that is what Im going to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: for those who have tried KYB shocks