Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Powder Coat Rotors / calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coat Rotors / calipers

I work for a powder coater. I am thinking about masking the brake surfaces and moving parts on the calipers and have them powder coated. Does anyone know what the max heat specs are these parts can take? The ovens get to about 500 degrees. I paint them right now, but would like to PC them and forget it, but I am worried about warping the rotors. Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen people paint the rotors but the area that the brake pad sweeps across gets taken down back to the rotor surface once they are used.

I wouldn't powdercoat the rotors at all. Some people paint the hats but not the rotor itself. I wouldn't risk putting them to in at that heat level even though they may be okay to withstand it. Just paint them if that's what you want to do.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Im assuming he just wants to PC the calipers and such not the rotors if I'm not mistaken. Considering most (correct me if Im wrong) PC'd calipers from factory are PC'd not painted so I dont see why there would be any heat issues. Plus the heat they stand up to when under hard braking has to be pretty damn high itself.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen people paint the rotors but the area that the brake pad sweeps across gets taken down back to the rotor surface once they are used.

I wouldn't powdercoat the rotors at all. Some people paint the hats but not the rotor itself. I wouldn't risk putting them to in at that heat level even though they may be okay to withstand it. Painting them will be a lot easier to do.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powdercoat the calipers if you want, it'll hold up fine. As for the rotors, just go to the parts store and pick up a couple cans of Duplicolor paint. I held the pads up to the rotor where they'd ride to get an idea where I needed to mask the rotors off. Cleaned the parts with some Autozone brake cleaner (not a fan of the CRC or Advance Auto stuff). Sprayed them with a couple coats of basic sandable primer, then a couple coats of black 500*F engine paint, and then finally a shot of their clear wheel coating. Looks great and is holding up fine. That's the same procedure I've used in the past every time I've painted calipers (did the same to this set of calipers as well, except went gloss black on the calipers). I've never had to re-shoot a set of calipers. This process seems to hold up well and I've never had to repaint anything, just wipe the brake dust off with a cloth.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help! That sounds like my problem on the calipers. I use the brush on caliper paint, but I don't clear them. I end up repainting them every year. Not sure why I didn't think of that, but I will give that a shot.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a really hot oven anyways we keep our oven at 395 and its plenty for powdercoating but even 500 isnt as hot as those rotors will get during hard breaking but yes you can powdercoat your calipers with no problem ive coated many calipers but i wouldnt coat the rotors
Old 07-13-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

i doubt the rubber or seals in the calipers can take the heat, u would have to fullly disassemble the calipers
Old 07-14-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Rather than painting some new rotors, I just bought some new zinc washed rotors from a sponsor on the board. $67 each, but I have the C5 upgrade, so the fbody rotors zinc washed may be more....