Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

least amount of clearance to lower

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default least amount of clearance to lower

I just talked to the exhaust shop that will be fabbing up my true duals and said that when it's all done I was have about 4" of clearance. Then he specifically said that I will not be able to lower my car. I see alot of guys around lowering their car with dumped tds and mine will go over the axel and using classic chambered mufflers for best clearance. Will I have a problem? I will be using Strano springs and revalved bilsteins for my future suspension upgrades.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

what size pipe will he be running. with duals, you dont need a huge 3in pipe. 2.5, 2.25 is fine, since youre doubling the flow. even better with a H or X pipe. are you keeping the cats? its the cats that hang lowest, and are the hardest to tuck. i have konis and stranos....put on after my headers/exhaust. its so low now its almost undrivable. im thinking of going dual, eliminating the cats. maybe.

id say get the suspension done FIRST, then the exhaust, so you know exactly what youre working with. with my stock suspension, my exhaust was fine, no problems. now on the other hand.......
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
what size pipe will he be running. with duals, you dont need a huge 3in pipe. 2.5, 2.25 is fine, since youre doubling the flow. even better with a H or X pipe. are you keeping the cats? its the cats that hang lowest, and are the hardest to tuck. i have konis and stranos....put on after my headers/exhaust. its so low now its almost undrivable. im thinking of going dual, eliminating the cats. maybe.
I'm using 2.5" pipes all the way back and using an x-pipe. Yes, i am running cats, i bought two new magnaflow high flow cats to be welded in.

id say get the suspension done FIRST, then the exhaust, so you know exactly what youre working with. with my stock suspension, my exhaust was fine, no problems. now on the other hand.......
I already bought my headers, cats, and mufflers. So i kinda depleted my bank account for now......
Old 07-13-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

then depending on how the guy does it, you might be in trouble for ground clearance. having duals might actually be easier then a single 3". if at all possible, i would suggest just waiting till you do the suspension, then have the exhaust done, so the guy knows what he has to work with. if youre dead set on doing the exhaust first, then just tell him to tuck everything up as high as possible, get it to absolute minimum room between the floor and pipes.

id also keep the isolater instead of doing the hose mod. its not really that big of a drop, using the hose, if you already have lowering springs. keeping the isolater will give you just that extra half inch you might need. i put mine back on.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

He told me that he was going to run one of the pipes on the side of the car where the original pipes where, and the other alongside the driveshaft. It seems like this would yield the most clearance, but i don't have any experience running exhaust systems.......
Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think where he's running them matters much for the lowering problem. There isn't much room above the axle to run duals and that limited space gets smaller as you lower the car.

I don't have any experience with this nor do I know anyone who does, but I see bmr makes a panhard rod relocation kit that would free up some space, that might be a good option for duals on a lowered car, but as Echo has said, it's better to have the car as low as it's going to be to see if there will be clearance problems.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to vinci performance, go click on bassani true duals exhaust and you'll see that set up will yield you more clearance. I have bassani true duals and I have stock exhaust clearance.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

the biggest problem is really the cats. you can run two pipes, especially 2.5s, the length of the car without much problem. pipe you can bend and twist to get into whatever shape you need. its the cats that you cant adjust. stock placement puts the cats up near the engine, nowhere near the actual floor of the car. with headers, of course, you cant do that. youll have to tell him to try and place the cats in the spots that give you the best clearance. youll have to get 02 extensions of course. itll be a little easier with a total custom, fabbed exhaust then a store bought one. you have more options on cat placement. just hope the guy knows what hes doing and you trust him.

i dont think the over axle setup would be bad. other people must have lowered with over axles before. if youre using 2 chambered mufflers, they dont take up much room. probably less then the stock crossover.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 87formy
I don't think where he's running them matters much for the lowering problem. There isn't much room above the axle to run duals and that limited space gets smaller as you lower the car.

I don't have any experience with this nor do I know anyone who does, but I see bmr makes a panhard rod relocation kit that would free up some space, that might be a good option for duals on a lowered car, but as Echo has said, it's better to have the car as low as it's going to be to see if there will be clearance problems.
Are you saying that the problem with lowering my car with TDs isn't that the pipes will hang to close to the ground but that i wont have enough room over the axel for the pipes? or a combination of both? Or are you saying that with a panhard rod relocation I will have more room to run the pipes yielding better clearance?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

the biggest problem is really the cats. you can run two pipes, especially 2.5s, the length of the car without much problem. pipe you can bend and twist to get into whatever shape you need. its the cats that you cant adjust. stock placement puts the cats up near the engine, nowhere near the actual floor of the car. with headers, of course, you cant do that. youll have to tell him to try and place the cats in the spots that give you the best clearance. youll have to get 02 extensions of course. itll be a little easier with a total custom, fabbed exhaust then a store bought one. you have more options on cat placement. just hope the guy knows what hes doing and you trust him.

i dont think the over axle setup would be bad. other people must have lowered with over axles before. if youre using 2 chambered mufflers, they dont take up much room. probably less then the stock crossover.
Fortunately it is an F-Body shop. They deal with cam swaps, engine removal, etc. all on lt1s and ls1s. If i remeber correctly the floorboard on my car (its an LT1 car) has an indentation where cats could tuck up pretty well. I have to double check on that though........
Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

thats good then. i havent been under the rear of my car in a few weeks, so i dont remember how much room there was after lowering it. i think youll be alright though. im sure hes done this before, so i hope you can trust him. id still do the suspension first, if at all possible. if i could do it over again, thats what i would do. it will save you alot of headache and problems, so try and maybe save up for another few months, then get it done. lets hope your guy was better then mine.....i went to a speed shop around by me. figured he'd know his ****....now that go a good look at his exhaust work while my car was on a lift, i see how shitty it was. he missed a band clamp - leaking exhaust. welds around the 02 bungs were HORENDOUS - leaking exhaust. he welded one bung too far down the pipe, so now the 02 ext. has no play in it. i really though he would be better then this, figuring he was a well known speed shop/aftermarket place.