Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

kyb agx and strano springs AGX yes or no???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyb agx and strano springs AGX yes or no???

well i ordered strano springs and i can get Brand new AGX shocks that cost 100$ a piece brand new for 20$ a piece. are they worth it to buy or????
Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

definitely no
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

its either
A stick with my stock shocks 70,000 miles
or
B 80$ for all 4 new AGX's
i refuse to pay the $ for 600$ shocks
i dont care how good they are. i dont mind the way my car handles now
Old 07-13-2007, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind how it handles now, why spend money/time changing anything? If you just want new shocks, then yes, that's a steal of a deal for those shocks. I suppose anything is better than stock at least in some regard.

However, my personal opinion and recommendation strongly opposes yours. Want to improve things noticeably? Buy some real shocks. Revalves or Konis. Don't want to spend the money? Don't come back complaining about poor driving because you didn't match your suspension pieces together.

Suspension mods are just like engine mods. A mismatched combo will never perform as well as a well-balanced/matched combo will, in either case.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Those shocks will not be able to control those springs well enough. I agree, 600 is a lot for shocks. But when the AGX's wear out and you are replacing them, you will wish you went with bilsteins of Koni's.

It's like the difference between a 200 dollar B&M convertor compared to a yank.

There's a reason they cost a lot of money. Because they are good.

I'm saving up to lay down the 825 for the adjustable Koni's for strano springs. That purchase is going to hurt. I have this problem of buying something cheaper then I always think how much better would it be if I just waited and got the good stuff. But everyones budget is different. What I think is Big ***** Style is probably peanuts to others.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
its either
A stick with my stock shocks 70,000 miles
or
B 80$ for all 4 new AGX's
i refuse to pay the $ for 600$ shocks
i dont care how good they are. i dont mind the way my car handles now
Stick with stock shocks then. That way you don't have to pay money for a crappy ride, you will get it for free.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

NO.

Revalves or KONIS. I'm sure SAM would tell you the same thing. Didn't you even ask his opinion?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Stick with stock shocks then. That way you don't have to pay money for a crappy ride, you will get it for free.
+1
The higher spring rate of stranos springs are more than stock or cheap aftermarket shocks can handle. Pony up for GOOD shocks or don't bother. I've read plenty of posts where the cheap shocks get tossed in short order when the owner figures out good shock cost $.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Given the choice between AGX's and stock ONLY, I'll opt for AGX's. However, the idea that you refuse to pay X amount of money for something is a little short-sighted. Duron has a point in that if you don't mind how the car drives now what's the point in changing it. And if you haven't realized how poor they drive with stock shocks you'll be surprised. I think most folks just accept what they have as good, or average, when in most folks reality it sucks pretty hard.

The shocks are the key to a suspension that works well. Give me great shocks and stock everything else if I only have a smaller amount of money to work with. That's right, I make spring and bars, and sell all the other things, but I want to be on good shocks first. They are more screwed up, and harder to get right than any other part under the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

i use to have a rice burner aka 480whp HONDA lol and i had AGX's on it.yea they sucked- changed to yellow konis-didnt notice a diffrence. thats why i am so sceptic about spending the money on shocks guys
Old 07-13-2007, 01:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's such a vague statement I don't know where to start.... Where did you run the AGX's? The Koni's? What springs were on the car? Did you change shock settings? What was the result? Maybe you had some other issues suspension wise that no shock was going to help with.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
i use to have a rice burner aka 480whp HONDA lol and i had AGX's on it.yea they sucked- changed to yellow konis-didnt notice a diffrence. thats why i am so sceptic about spending the money on shocks guys
So you asked for advice, we gave you our answer. What did you want to hear? Do a search if you need more persuasion.

Weren't KYB's one of the types of shocks that are good for some cars but the LS1 is a car that they didn't quite hit the nail on the head?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

on the hond i used ground control coilovers with both konni and kyb. i found the the agx turn **** bropke off and they were unable to adjust them and they blew out easily.

now shock wise. handling- are you guys telling me the shock is better at taking corners at high speeds or there better even in a straight line. i do not take corners fast anymore i'm to scared to and i dont drive fast in crappy conditions.

so if the 600$ shocks are a only must for cornering then i dont need them. but if there better all around
then i think i'll start saving!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Maybe this will be settled when I tell him Koni's start @ $740 a set, not $600....

You had GC's... what spring rate? How low were you sitting? Generally folks slam those things (especially Honda's) which makes any shock ride like crap when you're riding around basically on the ground....

Old 07-13-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are not that bad.
you are talking $80 for all 4 then by all means you might as well go with them over stock.
of course everyone is going to say konis but you knew that from the start.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni's aren't even that expensive for good shocks.

Motons and Penskes are 800 to 1,000 bucks PER SHOCK
Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

i'm not your average honda guy. i didnt slam my car i had roughly 1 1/2 inchs or so of wheel gap where is other honda guys wheels go up in the fenders. and me making almost 500whp. more thebn my car has now
well
i get a deal through advanced auto because my brother works there 20% off
sooo
i looked in catalog and they have bielsteins and koni shocks.
so therefore thats what i'm gonna get
thanks guys