Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can I run my Strano springs for awhile?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Can I run my Strano springs for awhile?

With stock shocks? I know it will wear them out fast, but would it be ok for a few months at the most? I'll be upgrading shocks in a few months so I was just gonna go ahead and throw the springs on. Im not worried about reusing the stock shocks later because by the time I'd need them, if ever, I could just buy replacement stockers.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can. I recommend waiting until you get the shocks though to save yourself some time of doing the same thing twice. Though you would have the chance to compare stock shocks with konis but that's not saying much
Old 07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha yeah no comparison Im sure. I dont mind doing it all twice. Im pretty new to working on my own car so it would be a good experience I think...although I have no idea how hard it is.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
Haha yeah no comparison Im sure. I dont mind doing it all twice. Im pretty new to working on my own car so it would be a good experience I think...although I have no idea how hard it is.
wait for the shocks, its a pain for the fronts.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
The second time doing your springs/shocks will obviously be easier than the first since you'd have recently broke loose the nuts and bolts.

Something to keep in mind is that the top nut on the front shocks get seized and many have to cut it off or cut the stock shock shaft. In case you have to do that, doing both shocks and springs at the same time would be worth your while.

Next time I remove any shocks or springs, I will bring the coilover setup to a shop and not waste my time with the spring compresser.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

just wait and do it all at once. mine was VERY easy.....not a speck of rust anywhere. but still id never want to do it twice just because i wanted to throw the springs on just for the hell of it. not to mention youll need to do 2 alignments instead of just one. if you drive around without an alignment the first time, who knows what could happen. you may just have put the shock in a little skewed, and wacked the align. way the **** out.....and within a week of daily driving, blow out your tire (ive seen it happen when someone did an 'at home alignment' in the street). just wait, do it all at once, and get one algnmnt instead of two.
what z28bryan said about cutting the nuts off the shocks is 100% for some people. if that happens, youll be up ***** creek without a paddle until you buy new shocks.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good call echo! Hadn't thought about that. I'll be waiting. Thanks for the thoughts everyone
Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Restricted User

Yeah it's definetly not worth it... just wait. You'll understand once you do the install the first time. I may swap out my rears for Koni SAs next season, but the fronts are staying!

Quick Reply: Can I run my Strano springs for awhile?