Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Camber differences related to autox times

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camber differences related to autox times

I kinda felt like making a thread about this in here to bring up a different subject from the same old ones.

I have around -.5 to -.3 degrees of camber, around 4 degrees of caster and an even toe setup. About 3 years ago when I didn't know much about Fbody suspension, I referred to this site to get the autox/street alignment settings from a local shop: http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

Lists the recommended camber at -.5, caster between 4-5 degrees, and toe even. Now that I know something about alignment settings, I noticed I originally had 5 degrees of caster and now I'm at 4.

I am wondering how much time do you think I can pick up on say an 80 second autox course if I get my camber maxed to -1.5 - -1.8, put my caster maxed back around 5, and had my toe even or slightly out? I am on strano's springs so I think I gained a small amount of negative camber on the drop and I run 315 Nitto 555r tires all around. How significant would that whole extra degree of camber help me out?

I noticed that another driver in a Mustang GT who I rode with was able to toss his steering wheel around with no understeer compared to my car, and he is on Toyo RA-1 tires all around. I think 245 all around. Then he told me he ran -2 degrees of camber, which made me anxious and interested in seeing how well I would turn with an extra degree of negative camber.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

camber adds front grip by better using the contact patch when you lean the car into corners. Most notable in long sweepers, not so much in transition like slaloms, but some. But because it adds grip, the car becomes a bit looser too. Like anything change brings change and that's the trick when you are dialing in a car.

Yes, you need more negative camber.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Would that whole degree of caster make a huge difference as well?

I know the source of the problem is fixing the nut behind the wheel, but I am working on that
Old 08-03-2007, 05:08 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Would that whole degree of caster make a huge difference as well?

I know the source of the problem is fixing the nut behind the wheel, but I am working on that
It will to some degree but not as much as a true "R" compound tire with your proposed camber settings.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I definitely don't have real competitive r comp tires for autox, but they are competitive for the local spectator drags for me.