Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weird noise from new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird noise from new brakes

Hello im a newbie and i have a small problem. Figured since you guys know your stuff more than ne other board i've visited you could help. I have a 98 TA and just had Powerstop rotors (cross drilled) and hawk pads put on. Theres a really annoying kinda like a ch ch ch -rubbing sound coming from what seems to be the passenger side only. The place that did them says its normal. I dont think it is. On the sheet from powerstop it says there may be a whirring noise under heavy braking, but nothing about regular driving. A guy i work with says it could be air passing through the holes, i dont think thats it either. The sound is there from 10 mph and up. PLEASE HELP
Old 05-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Weird noise from new brakes

Same thing is happening to me, but I got the Autozone blanks. Mine only occurs when I'm turning a little or alot left. I spoke to some mechanics on the railroad I work with and they seemed to think it may be time for some new front bearings. Don't know if this will help other than the fact that your not the only one. Also I put the same setup on my sisters 02' 6 cylinder and shes had no problems with them, other than the fact they squeal like hell on both of our cars. Oh and mine appears to only be coming from the drivers side.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car does the same on the rear driver rotor. The rotor is warped so the pad hits the rotor on every rotation, and lets out a squeal. You can imagine how embarrasing this is. I havent driven my car for three weeks becuase of the problem, and I'm STILL waiting for parts from Speed Inc (PS: never order anything from them)
Old 05-23-2003, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be that the rotor is not "true" and has a slight wobble in it. It could be a front wheel bearing that is allowing the disk to contact the bracket for the brake caliper (I have this problem on race tires....my rotor is grinding into my caliper bracket due to flex). But the fact that is not a constant noise makes me think it is a slight wobble and it's dragging the brake pads on each rotation. I'd start there....if your stock rotors are not warped, swap one on at a time and see if it goes away. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2003, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Slotted rotors will give some audible noise as those slot grind across the brake pad face.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good call Mitch....I hadn't considered that it could be noise from every slot....DOH!!!

Old 05-23-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies guys. The noise seems quieter today than the past 2. Who knows this is only the third day with the new rotors maybe it will mellow out some more with more miles.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL... I still have my problem . Nothing a little oil couldn't handle
Old 05-23-2003, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kev98TA,

Did the brake pad manufacturer send any instructions for "bedding" the brake pads to the rotors? If they did, it is a good process to try. It helps the pad work by correctly conditioning the pads and rotors (it causes a "film transfer" of pad material to the rotors and improves braking effecincy) and it may help your noise (and it may not). GOod luck!