Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need opinions on springs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on springs.

I am wanting to go with a different set of springs. I have Mac lowering springs right now and they are very stiff. I do alot of drag racing and want something that launches well but still kept somewhat of a low stance. I was looking at maybe the BMR srpings or the Eibach drag launch springs (but not sure if they lower the car any)I have all Spohn adjustable suspension and KYB 8 way adjustable shocks. I run 18 inch Boyds on the street that is why i would like to keep it somewhat low. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Need opinions on springs.

TTT anyone?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMR says they only add about 100 inch pounds of additional spring rate to their springs. This will allow less aggressive rebound damping which will be good for drag racing. Due to the fact that the car is lowered, you will still need to increase your compression damping to keep the car "off the bumpstops" over choppy pavement and bumps.

Are you running LCA relocation brackets and an adjustable torque arm? Those items will likely help drag strip performance more than changing springs ever will. When you lower a vehicle, you change the geometry of the rear suspension by changing the angle of the torque arm and the angle of the LCA's (relative to the chassis). By changing this relationship, the vehicle loses the ability to "lift" the chassis and plant the tires. As the tires rotate forward, the axle rotates slightly backwards and this allows the LCA's to lift the body slightly to load the tires....if the geometry is correct. This is why LCA relocation brackets help drag strip performance. Anyway....these are just some random thoughts....I hope they are somewhat helpful. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2003, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the info trackbird. I do have a adjustable spohn torque arm on the way, i have spohn adjustable lcas i need to get the reloc brackets. I have adjustable shocks so can change the rebound. I think i am going to try the bmr springs they seem to be the best choice to keep the car lowered, the macs almost sit to low and ride like a log wagon even with the shocks set on the softest setting. Thanks again
Old 05-28-2003, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The BMR's have a stock-like ride. You'll like them.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to help. I am running considerably stiffer springs than stock and I have found that increasing the compression damping will help the ride by keeping the car off the bumpstops over bad pavement. You may experiment with that for ride quality...it is kinda opposite of what you may expect....Anyway....Let us know what happens....GOod luck!

Quick Reply: Need opinions on springs.