Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Man I got what feels like bad Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Man I got what feels like bad Wheel Hop

How do I get rid of it. I have been told LCA relocation brackets will fix it but I'm beginning to wonder. I have UMI LCAs, TA, SFCs, & PHB. None of this seems to have made any difference. It's pissing me off

Tueday at the track it felt like my rear end was going to leave the f'ing vehicle. It was the worst I ever felt it. I thought maybe it was worse because one tire may have hit water while the other didn't. I did a dry dust off and got a normal does of wheel hop. Needless to say, on the track or street it always seems to suffer severe wheel hop. I can't deal with this any more it has to go.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Please, I need some advice to make this crap go away.

I think I know wheel hop, but could it be a bad posi unit or engine mounts or anything else? I've had the mounts looked at and the suspension and nothing obvious is seen.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Has the car been lowered? If you have LCA's and all the other stuff I am surprised you still have it. The thing I would look into is your shocks. If they are worn I think it can cause it too.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Which UMI lca's?
Stock TQ arm or which umi one?
Stock shocks?
Tires/wheels?
Rearend stock?
gear ratio?

Did you have it before these parts ?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same issue man. Nearly exact same suspension. My problem is weight not transfering from the front and sh*tty shocks. What front suspension do you have?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by coolformula
Which UMI lca's?
Stock TQ arm or which umi one?
Stock shocks?
Tires/wheels?
Rearend stock?
gear ratio?

Did you have it before these parts ?
1. I have the UMI non adjustable (car is not lowered) Transmission mount.
2. Stock non bilstein shocks.
3. Stock SS eagle F1s 70% tread left.
4. Stock 10 bolt.
5. Stock M6 3.43.

I may not have had wheel hop before any mods, after the LCAs it seemed to be noticed, but at the same time I stared lowering rear tire pressure to 26.5 to 28 psi. at the track. The wheel hop does seem to be less on fully inflated tires (35+psi).
Old 10-18-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by solocus
1. I have the UMI non adjustable (car is not lowered) Transmission mount.
2. Stock non bilstein shocks.
3. Stock SS eagle F1s 70% tread left.
4. Stock 10 bolt.
5. Stock M6 3.43.

I may not have had wheel hop before any mods, after the LCAs it seemed to be noticed, but at the same time I stared lowering rear tire pressure to 26.5 to 28 psi. at the track. The wheel hop does seem to be less on fully inflated tires (35+psi).
Before the mods, it was probably just spinning. Now, it's trying to stick but can't quite do it so it goes something like this. Stick hop, stick hop, stick hop. Until you get the suspension lined out just quick slip your clutch to combat the hop instead of trying to launch hard
Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Better tires, better shocks. It is trying to now stick, slip, stick and that's what starts the hop. Stickier tires will help eliminate the slip part in between. Better shocks: compression damping controls unsprung weight, which is the rear axle and all that's attached. If you can keep it from starting to hop, or at least better control it when it starts, that will help you. BTW, by better shocks I don't mean drag shocks.

And the last bit. You likely are running you LCA bracket in the lowest hole in search of the best grip. Move them them a hole, I bet it helps. You might spin a little more, but if you don't have to pedal the car, it'll be faster.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solocus
How do I get rid of it. I have been told LCA relocation brackets will fix it but I'm beginning to wonder. I have UMI LCAs, TA, SFCs, & PHB.
I have the exact parts, never had a problem when it was an A4 but swapping to an M6 brought the wheel hop.
I got UMI weld in relocation brackets, the wheel hop is gone, still spins the tires though.
BTW bad wheel hop will break a rear end quick.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Well, it looks like I might go with both the relocation brackets and shocks, I need better weight distribution during launch anyway.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Let me know if we can help.... You can search what we have @ www.stranoparts.com

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried yoinking the front sway bar at the track. May help put some weight over the rear tires. Other than that, everything else that has been suggested should work, stickier tires and LCA brackets.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

With a stock 10 bolt rear you looking to go bang.