Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for econo front break upgrade. Would this combo work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for econo front break upgrade. Would this combo work?

I have an 02 Z28. The front (stock) breaks are about ready to be replaced. At first I was going to just have the breaks redone with stock parts. Would my car stop better if I got the following:

Brembo blanks
Steel break lines
Hawk HPS pads

I don't autocross or road race btw, just want something thats good for the streets.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, even if your using a setup like that for street use it will be beneficial. I have a similar setup and love it, I've even gotten compliments on how good the brakes feel when others have driven the car.

Just as a comparison I have:
GM Blanks
Earl's Stainless Lines
Hawk HPS
and Ate Super Blue Fluid
Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, those parts should help increase braking (and the Brembo blanks should resist rotor warping a lot longer) by a lot.

however, one thing to keep in mind is that if you are worried at all about brake dust, you could go with the Hawk ceramic brake pads instead of the HPS pads. they still have a sizeable amount of increase in braking over stock, but a lot less brake dust than the HPS pads.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
yes, those parts should help increase braking (and the Brembo blanks should resist rotor warping a lot longer) by a lot.
Rotor warping is a myth

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 10-20-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

interesting article... call it what you will, my stock rotors gave me problems at 20k and i had them resurfaced, havent had any trouble in the 45k subsequent miles.

In any case. You're going to find an improvement in feel more than in actual stopping power.

If you want more stopping power the best way is to get a bigger rotor. The cheapest way to do that is a C5 corvette rotor conversion. An inch larger diameter rotor means a good deal more leverage. If you keep your stock calipers, the only real expense over the parts you have listed would be the brackets, which aren't that expensive

but as you said, you're just looking for street driving. the stock ls1 brakes (as opposed to the lt1 brakes) should be plenty adequate once upgraded with the mentioned parts
Old 10-20-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

not trying to hijack your thread but if i were to do the c5 conversion on my 02 SS, what all would i need and where could i get it from?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

A few weeks ago there was a thread called something like C5 showdown (more or less) with a lot of good info in it.

You might also want to look at the websites for umiperformance, hotpart, and kore3. Note that I personally would not use the Kore3 bracket, but they are a source for some of the other stuff you'll need.

There's also a sticky in the brake section on frrax.com (might have to register to see it) with a list of GM C5 part numbers. In the same section, there's a recent thread about C6 brakes using the same brackets that has some additional part numbers.

By the way, Team Chevrolet is familiar with the conversion and the GM parts that you'll need (they don't sell the brackets). Mention frrax (or probably ls1tech ) to get their "internet" pricing, which is very competitive (especially with the free shipping on large orders). You can find contact info for them on frrax too.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...c5#post7763236
Old 01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shockwave179

Yes but. I did a bunch of reading about that last year. More recently though, I have read about unevenly and/or over torquing your lugnuts DOES warp your rotors IN ADDITION to other rotor proplems like pad material uneven buildup.

Like that article says:

[quote=that article"With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing"[/quote]

I think this spring I will be buying an ir impact gun (which one?), a set of those torque sticks, and a good torque wrench (which one?) and whatever blanks Strano sells me, and the ceramic pads I already have. I should be all set then. Oh, is that fancy brake fluid really any better?

Last edited by Shooter_Jay; 01-10-2008 at 07:17 PM.