Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steel brake line install? (yes i searched)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steel brake line install? (yes i searched)

I have never done it before. I just got my steel brake lines from Earl's. I searched and could not find a write up. Also, it would help if it includes properly bleeding the brakes as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

The Haynes manual has brakeline replacement in it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks, however i would prefer a free online write up if possible
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's pretty straight forward install, take old line off, put new line on, and don't let the master go dry. Make sure you put the bleeder valve up if you take the calipers off and buy four new bleeder valves because you will most likely f one up.
To bleed, pump brakes, hold, open a bleeder valve until air is removed, close valve, release brake, start over again. Start at the rear right, rear left, front right, front left.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easier with a mityvac.bleed it by yourself.done.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _JB_
It's pretty straight forward install, take old line off, put new line on, and don't let the master go dry. Make sure you put the bleeder valve up if you take the calipers off and buy four new bleeder valves because you will most likely f one up.
To bleed, pump brakes, hold, open a bleeder valve until air is removed, close valve, release brake, start over again. Start at the rear right, rear left, front right, front left.
Exactly. start at the furthest caliper away from the master.
I had my lines installed professionally because I've never bled brakes before. My bleeder screw on my driver side front caliper seized up and broke off. I had to buy a whole new caliper because of it. Sucked.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelg589
Exactly. start at the furthest caliper away from the master.
I had my lines installed professionally because I've never bled brakes before. My bleeder screw on my driver side front caliper seized up and broke off. I had to buy a whole new caliper because of it. Sucked.
You aren't the only one with bleeder screw problems....

I had to replace 3 out of 4 bleeder screws because they were so stuck on, I rounded them out and struggled with vice grips to remove them (I had to use enough pressure to deform them like pushing on playdoh). I had to replace the driver's side caliper (AutoZone has them) because I destroyed the top of the bleeder screw and it still didn't budge (also a piece of it fell in). The driver's side caliper also came off too easily. I think it wasn't working as well as it should which would contribute to the lousy braking I had been getting. The new bleeder screws threaded in easily and worked fine.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
You aren't the only one with bleeder screw problems....

I had to replace 3 out of 4 bleeder screws because they were so stuck on, I rounded them out and struggled with vice grips to remove them (I had to use enough pressure to deform them like pushing on playdoh). I had to replace the driver's side caliper (AutoZone has them) because I destroyed the top of the bleeder screw and it still didn't budge (also a piece of it fell in). The driver's side caliper also came off too easily. I think it wasn't working as well as it should which would contribute to the lousy braking I had been getting. The new bleeder screws threaded in easily and worked fine.
I just had to laugh at this because I was imagining how much swearing I'd have been doing when that happened.