Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need review on what I'm doing, street/strip daily driver sus

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need review on what I'm doing, street/strip daily driver sus

I have a 2002 WS6 which is totally stock suspension wise. I like the way the car rides the road straight line where you don't break your back over every bump. What I don't like is how the car handles bumps in the road, and stopping and turning. The car sways and torques way to much. The body roll is pretty large as well. I'd like to have my car handles the turns good and handle the crappy NJ roads, but still ride comfortable.

This is what I was planning on doing. Looking at the SLP Level 1 suspension. Figuring I'd could mimick their setup, but use better parts.

G2 panhard bar, poly/rod
Edlebrock Torque Arm from Jegs.com
G2 Sub frames, including v-brace
G2 Lower Control Arm.

Would like to lower the car 1" but retain the nice ride my car has now. What should I do on this part. Should I buy the SLP springs and shocks? Some people mention Koni's up front and Bilsteen out back with stock springs, but only lowers 3/4" What can I do on this part? $$$ is also a very large concern as I don't have a whole lot.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 06-16-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Need review on what I'm doing, street/strip daily driver sus

i think if youre main concern is handling i would ditch the torque arm for now and look into shocks. just going from the stock shocks to hals made a night and day improvement. subframes will help when your frame gets weaker. they arent too noticably when the car is brand new (i put mine on at like 500 miles though ). lca will help straight line, and a phr will help hard cornering.

my first set of suspension mods were lca, hals, and subframes. then i upgraded to a spohn torque arm since i broke my stock one. you need to read up on them and how different length ones make your car handle different out of turns and stuff.

i just recently put a 35 mm sway bar up front and a stb. i must say that it made a huge difference. my car doesnt lean nearly as much as it used to. my air damn used to scrape the ground on heavy turning, even with the hals pumped up, now it doesnt seem to do that. i highly suggest a bigger sway bar before a torque arm. i think ws6s might come from the factory with 32 mm, but i know mine was a 29 mm since i had a regular TA. next on the list is going to be a rear sway bar and prolly an adjustable phr after that. the car isnt bouncy at all, its very smooth and handles great. i think the key to keeping it smooth is the springs. i still have the stock springs and have no plan on changing them.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I wanted to lower my car 1" like the SLP Level 1 kit does, what should I do on this standpoint and still keep a nice comfortable ride?
Old 06-17-2003, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are some springs out there that only lower the car 1 inch. BMR and DMS I beleive are two I can think of off the top of my head. Matched with an appropriate shock, it should do pretty well.