Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pinion angle W/ adjustable torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
how did you set the angle. The suspension must be loaded and the car should be level. If you have access to a drive on lift that would be best.
i did it on a drive on alignment rack. the full weight of the car was on the suspension.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
ok, last night i drove it home for the first time in two weeks. from about 30mph and up i get a rotational noise. almost like a rotational grinding but not horrible. i put it on a lift at work and the u-joint is still tight, nothing is lose, and nothing is rubbing. im not sure if my new driveshaft is slighty out of balance or the pinion angle needs changed. do you think i should try changing it to -1.5 degrees or -1 degrees?
It could just be the new set up transfers more noise but the chances are good that the angle is wrong.

you can try 1.5.

For everyone's benefit, here's how to make sure the pinion angle is right.

The best way is to start from 0

Fiddle with it until the needle points to the same spot when placed on the drive shaft as it does when placed on the TA plate so... it may point to something like -4 on the DS and -4 on the TA plate.

Then turn the adjuster to angle the pinion down until there is a 2 notch difference.. like -5 and -3... -1 and positive 1.... 0 and -2... etc... positve 15 and positve 17

or if adjusting for 1 degree... -1 and -2.... -7 and -8..
Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

forgot to ask you what side of the car did you take the angle from. You could have made it +2 instead of -2. Depending on what side of the car you too the measurement from you need to know what numbers(what side of the dial) to look at. Now what i mean by side of the car im refering to when you put the angle finder on the torque arm mount what side of the car were you on to read the numbers. It doesnt matter what side your facing, you can do it from either side its just one side will be oposite direction on the anglefinder so you might not be looking at the right number.. An easy way to see what side of the angle finder to look at all you need to do is put the finder on the torque arm, once its on there pull the the front of the angle finder down(the end nearest the drive shaft) while keeping the back touching the torque arm. What ever side the needle moves too thats the side you need to see it reading 2
Old 11-10-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

-1 to -2 for autos and -2 to -3 for manuals.

I'd use -2 on your car to start.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

again, not all autos need the same thing, not all manuals need the same thing, as already explained and apparently ignored by some ^ .... it depends on your setup and your uses but at least we can agree that -2* is good for you.

everyone takes this "rule of thumb" that comes with the instructions for their torque arm as gospel when all it is is the manufacturer trying to cover a broad range of possible situations and providing a little guidance for people who dont really understand what the point of adjusting the pinion angle really is

For example.. why is it always suggested that a manual have a little more negative? because of the shock that a manual can generate when you drop the clutch as opposed to the absorbtion that a torque converter in an automatic offers. But we all know that some people have slipping clutches and other people have very stout autos with trans brakes and the like.. in this case, the auto would want more negative than the manual.

and ignore bubba gump... adjusting the torque arm so that the angle finder points to -2 IS NOT CORRECT.

Like I already said, start from 0 degrees. This is when the drive shaft and the pinion are the same.. could be -14567382 and -14567382 degrees.. as long as they're the same, its 0

then use the TA adjuster to rotate the pinion downward.. measure as you go... once there is exactly 2 tick marks difference between the two.. you have a negative 2 pinion angle. So it may read +45 and +43 or.... -67 and -65 or..... +1 and -1 or.... +2 and 0 or.... 0 and -2

Last edited by OldeSkool; 11-10-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

i set mine by putting the angle finder on the driveshaft ujoints in the front compared to the ujoints in the back, hmmm could this be terribly wrong?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the front some people measure the angle on the front of the harmonic balancer, some people measure the angle by putting the angle finder on the drive shaft tubing and on the pinion yoke or other bracket that has been welded to 0* (same as the pinion).
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuckaroooZ28
i set mine by putting the angle finder on the driveshaft ujoints in the front compared to the ujoints in the back, hmmm could this be terribly wrong?
There are indeed a number of driveline angles and various procedures to get everything set up properly. I don't know off the top of my head what they all are or how to measure and set them properly. I've never built a car from scratch or anything where i've had to do that.

But since most people leave their engine and transmission alone and are only changing their torque arms, measuring the the TA bracket plate on the axle housing and measuring the DS is the best way to ensure proper pinion angle... since everything else is left alone
Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

so i took a couple of turns out, pitching the pinon up, vibration has lessened i believe, or perhaps wishful thinking.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats good, just be sure you're not at 0
Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
ok, last night i drove it home for the first time in two weeks. from about 30mph and up i get a rotational noise. almost like a rotational grinding but not horrible. i put it on a lift at work and the u-joint is still tight, nothing is lose, and nothing is rubbing. im not sure if my new driveshaft is slighty out of balance or the pinion angle needs changed. do you think i should try changing it to -1.5 degrees or -1 degrees?
i had the same thing going on the degrees has alot to do with it you need to play with it and see what works for you

Quick Reply: pinion angle W/ adjustable torque arm?