Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just installed Hal/QA1's and something just isn't right.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just installed Hal/QA1's and something just isn't right.

Put the rears in yesterday and had no problems. Seems like the Rt.rear is dropping WAY too much. I have them set at Lt/Rt = 6/7. It's not as bad as when I had the rt. on 6, but it is ALOT worse than the stock shocks were. Could I have a bad shock?

The front I had done by a local shop. I go to pick it up, it's parked on the side. I go in and pay, go around the side and the front end is LOW. He told me they got it as close to stock as they could. I figured I'd have to adjust it, but DAMN! To top it off, there was 15 miles put on the car since I had dropped it off!!! SONOFABITCH is lucky they were closed by the time I noticed. I'm gonna snap on monday.

I get it back to my shop and can't get the jack under my subframe conn. because it's too low. I move the spanner nut/spring up 1.5".

Driver's side: bottom of spanner lock nut to bottom of threads on shock. = 6.25" Ground to fender lip = 26.5"

Pass. side: spanner to threads = 6.25", ground to fender = 27"

:wtf: Why are the fenders different hights if the shocks are the same?

Also, on the lower side, I can barely get my jack in. On the high fender side, my jack just barely doesn't get under.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just installed Hal/QA1's and something just isn't right.

ttt
Old 06-25-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the car parked in a completely level spot (no bumps or humps)? If not, the car will lean (even slightly) and give the impression that it isn't lowered equally at all corners. To prove this....drive to a different spot and take another measurement.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:38 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Damn, that sucks. I'm about to get Hals, but after seeing this I"ll be sure to research this some more. I'd lay some sh&% down on that shop though.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished my install last night, all 4 corners. From taking it apart, I can see a couple things that could give you the "spanner to threads - ground to fender" mismatch. Since the springs hold the car up (not the shocks), if the shop didn't re-install the springs with the same orientation to the top and bottom seats, you could get a right/left mismatch. One side could be sitting higher on the seat(s). It shouldn't affect anything, but you might have to adjust each side so the ride height is correct.

When I put mine on, I marked the original spring location relative to the top and bottom seats. Then I measured the original distance from the bottom shock bolt to the bottom spring seat. Then I put the springs on the Hals with the marks lined up and the height set the same.

BTW, I took it out last night and was impressed with the ride improvement. The hals blow the stock decarbons away for ride.

-Dan