Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Where to buy some rotors?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to buy some rotors?

I want some good lookin rotors cause i have the Z06 rims and my stock rotors aren't very pretty. Where can I find some nice front and rear rotors at a decent price? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

The parts store. I run cheap rotors because, well, they are cheap, and work just as well as any other rotor (better than some, actually).
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try these
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...fa5112bfae1af5
no complaints from anyone as of yet!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you read the reviews there have been several issues of cracking around the holes...I emailed them and they said it was due to people using these rotors as high performance rotors when they are designed for stock replacements
Old 12-10-2007, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7

Quality rotor and has the Metacote coating applied so the rotor hat and edges don't rust, and since looks are a concern I thought you might find that to be a plus.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got mine for the WS6store, no problems and they look a lot better than stock.

Here is a pic of them on my Z:
Old 12-10-2007, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Drilling and slotting both are redundant. And Drilling is way worse than slotting as it removes a lot more metal, which is both structure of the disc as well as swept area for the pad to actually grab onto.

That picture is interesting, as you can see the inexpensive casting of the rotor if you look at the top of the disc. A bit rough, and that's going to be like that throughout the vane of the brake disc.

We have inexpensive rotors too, but they are still $180 a set for blanks, and they are the bare minimum I trust. Fact is you can buy some really cheap rotors. Drilling and/or slotting adds costs (look up any rotor that comes both blank and drilled/slotted, they cost more because they need machined). So when you are buying rotors that cost nothing it's becausae they are cheap rotors, and it's a known fact that drilling and slotting them makes them weaker as you are taking away structure and mass to absorb heat. That's why they can crack.

Yes, a lot of folks "have no problem". I know people that haven't changed their oil in 20k miles too and the cars run fine as well. YMMV, and there are plenty of folks who've had rotors crack on them. Considering they are what stops you, I'd recommend some careful consideration here.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Sam,

Could you pm me a price shipped to 89147 for a front set of Brembo blanks, with your recommended set of Hawk pads? Consideration for pads is performance first, wear second, and brake dust a distant last.
My first consideration for rotors is warp resistance. If you think the ATE rotors are better in this category, let me know.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Resident

well then, i don't think i will be buying cheap rotors any time soon lol
Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Sam,

Could you pm me a price shipped to 89147 for a front set of Brembo blanks, with your recommended set of Hawk pads? Consideration for pads is performance first, wear second, and brake dust a distant last.
My first consideration for rotors is warp resistance. If you think the ATE rotors are better in this category, let me know.
The ATE and the Brembo's are very similar in terms of toughness... but Brembo's are like Bilstein. Have been on a huge backorder (since July for Brembo), and the new ETA is now into February.

Given the way you quantified what you want from the brake pads, I'm going to recommend Hawk HP Plus to you. They can dust a lot, but they stop. They wear fine, but really brake wear is dependent on the person. Some folks are just hard on brakes, some aren't.

ATE rotors and HP Plus front pads would run you about $305-310 shipped to your door depending on the actual address. HP Plus pads are about $40 more per set than the more common, but less powerful HPS compound.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Teching In

jeggs
Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The ATE and the Brembo's are very similar in terms of toughness... but Brembo's are like Bilstein. Have been on a huge backorder (since July for Brembo), and the new ETA is now into February.

Given the way you quantified what you want from the brake pads, I'm going to recommend Hawk HP Plus to you. They can dust a lot, but they stop. They wear fine, but really brake wear is dependent on the person. Some folks are just hard on brakes, some aren't.

ATE rotors and HP Plus front pads would run you about $305-310 shipped to your door depending on the actual address. HP Plus pads are about $40 more per set than the more common, but less powerful HPS compound.
Thanks. I'll be in touch.

Search this Thread