Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need a drop/suspension opinions for new wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need a drop/suspension opinions for new wheels.

i dirve my car to work everyday and need a suspension that isnt to low but can handle , and most important hook up on the street. i just want to rid of the gap between the wheel and fender. i just put some ar tt2's on with some 275 front and 315 rears on it.

what im looking at is some bilstein struts all around, some 1 coils, possibly relocation brackets ( dont know if they are necessary) ,

and what is the advantage of an adjustable pan hard bar and torque arm? and are they necessary for my setup?

also looking at boxed subrames.

if anyone would please give me some advice on what i need and what i dont, or what brands are favored over other for what reason, id really appreciate it.

i know alot of people ask what drop but im trying to be specific so i can actually get some help.

this car runs 12 but will be in the low 11 high 10 before to long. thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

you could use my set up, bilstein hd shocks and eibach prokit springs, perfect for me, i freaking love it

"and what is the advantage of an adjustable pan hard bar and torque arm? and are they necessary for my setup?"

only if you are hard up for centering your rearend, i have a adjustable on mine....it just depends on what you are looking for, drag, auto-x, street use dd...
check out umi, bmr, and spohn, they may be able to point ya in the right direction

Last edited by bryan04h; 12-09-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

any one else?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Prokits are probably too low if you're still gonna be driving it around town a lot. I would suggest stranos springs, or hotchkis. Also you'll have to get an adjustable panhard rod once you lower the car in order to center your rearend; this is necessary to keep the tires from rubbing.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

sportlines FTMFW. And +1 on you needing the adj phb.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

well did some more reading,

i like bfh mod lol

anywho

for control arms , is anyone running boxed style with the gy ds3 315? i know these are one of the widest 315's so i dont know if the boxed lca will work ok ,

also do i need adjustblae ones or fixed legnth? when adjusting these things how do you adjust them just right?

same goes for pan hard bar and torque arm?

thanks for any help.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

if you buy the adj, bring it to a performance suspension shop, or maybe someone on here can point you in the right direction
Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 AM
TECH Regular

adj phr is a must if you get the drop with those 315's. I have hotchkis prokit but in desperate need of some shocks which will most likely be Koni's. You might want to do the !bumpstop also. If you ever decide getting headers you might want to really consider the Strano springs because i hear they give you that nice stance that is not too ridicules.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I disagree with most of the info provided by people in this thread, no offense to you guys. There are people who like the HD's and some who don't. The latest HD's are supposedly valved similarly to stock shocks, which is crap in my opinion for stock springs. Some people like them though. Basically it's a risk you take. Sportline springs.... forget it. I see very few people say good things about them, unless all they want is a car as low as possible for show only.

Personally the only springs that I know about that I'd use or consider are stock, Stranos, or Ground Control coilovers. I wouldn't mind trying out Hotchkis someday, but that probably won't happen

When you lower the car, the way the PHB connects the chassis to the rear end causes the rear end to move side to side depending on the angle it sits. An adjustable PHB will allow you to recenter the rear end. I have it on my car. I just feel more comfortable having my rear end pushing on my ctrl arms when they are even rather than off to one side.

You don't "need" a torque arm after lowering the car. There isn't really any relation toward needing it after you lower the car like the PHB has, unless there's something I don't know about.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used an adjustable torque arm to cure brake hop issues when autoxing. Random Tech, good product. I had Eibach ProKit for years but now have Sam's kit and it's hands down a better combination. Especially if you are daily driving it, the eibach's would scrape a lot, with Sam's I don't. You didn't mention adjustable LCA's but when lowering a car, adjustable LCA's AND the adjustable PHR allow you to center your rear perfectly because you can have the rear off side to side and forward/backward (depending on factory tolerances). Especially when running 315's.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have hotchkis springs paired with konis. Rides good and the stance looks good. The springs are advertised as having a 1" drop. They do settle a little more than that. How about lowering on the stock springs with koni's. It will give you a 3/4" drop. You can use the front lower perch and the heater hose mod for the rear. Just another idea. I also have an adjustable pan hard.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it was a car that was more show than go, the sporlines/prokit would be a good choice, because they have a really sexy stance.

but for a road-going car that sees the track/auto-x/road courses/etc., there are better options. i personally recommend Strano's springs, they fill in the wheel well nicely, but don't drop it on the ground (which is important if you have low-hanging long tube headers, like the SLP's). the Hotchkis doesn't drop it on the ground either, but i'm not sure of the spring rates.

as for shocks, i wouldn't go with the Bilstien HD's for any drop springs unless you get some revalves from Strano, that are valved for the exact springs you decide on.....but seeing as how those shocks are on national backorder for who knows how long, good luck getting any of those.

just save up and get some Koni S/A's, i promise you won't be disappointed once you get them adjusted to your liking. and one of the best things about these, is that if you do ever decide to change springs again, you won't have to buy new shocks....just re-adjust them, and you're set.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

right now im planning on getting the strano springs but the shocks are a toss up . my t56 just took a dump and now wont come apart. so im getting a built one and htrowing in an ls7 clutch with a few more goodies. so my trans will be good for power i throw at it.

now im not going to be doing lt's ( cheatr cam in near future) so thats not a worry , i have some bmr non adj lca's on there way. an adjustable phb is next.

im also looking for the shocks, i need something more friendly toward daily driven and the drag strip , i dont auto x my car at all but i dont want it all over the place. jus tlooking for a good set of shocks for this, tia. also the koni from what i have read seem like they are setup more for auto x than drag . any truth to this? anyone in so cal know a good shop they can set them up at?

Quick Reply: need a drop/suspension opinions for new wheels.