LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   I want my SS to handle better? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/834914-i-want-my-ss-handle-better.html)

BarneyMobile 12-24-2007 11:24 PM

I want my SS to handle better?

I just want some ideas on how to get my SS to handle alittle better in the corners. I dont have a lot of money to spend I dont really want to lower my car. I was thinking new sway bars, maybe some better shocks. What do you guys think?

Adriana Lover 12-24-2007 11:31 PM

See Sam Strano.

His 3/4 shock combo and springs should do nicely. Also a set of f/r bars w/ poly endlinks will help alot.

JScamaro 12-25-2007 12:12 AM

A new adj. panhard rod would be the best bang for your buck. New shocks and springs will cost you over a grand for the nice Koni/strano spring but would make a huge improvement.

OldeSkool 12-25-2007 12:21 AM

if you really dont want to lower...

nice results can be had by

koni 4/3
strano bars
poly/rod panhard bar

still cost a bit of money, but well worth it

CaMaRo67RS355 12-25-2007 12:29 AM

pm'ed u

Arctic2002ss 12-26-2007 09:43 AM

Start with better shocks. My Bilstein HDs were a noticeable improvement. I also have sub-frame connectors which I think helped a lot too but others will disagree. Even an instructor at an HPDE commented that the car felt better than stock. It does lean a little more than I want so I'm thinking about upgrading the sway bars.

Sam Strano 12-26-2007 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile (Post 8363340)
I just want some ideas on how to get my SS to handle alittle better in the corners. I dont have a lot of money to spend I dont really want to lower my car. I was thinking new sway bars, maybe some better shocks. What do you guys think?

Both good ideas. Shocks are the key, get the best you possibly can because they are the most in need of help, and the car itself is not a bad handling car once the shocks are addressed with good quality and correctly chosen replacments. From there we build as much as you want depending on what you think after the shocks go on.

BarneyMobile 12-27-2007 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano (Post 8369984)
Both good ideas. Shocks are the key, get the best you possibly can because they are the most in need of help, and the car itself is not a bad handling car once the shocks are addressed with good quality and correctly chosen replacments. From there we build as much as you want depending on what you think after the shocks go on.

Thanks for reply, What shocks do you recommend for a dd ( I use the term dd loosely) I was checking out the SLP bilstien shocks or is that not a good choice?
I rode in my buddies 06 STi and I absolutly loved they way it drove and handled. I was kinda aiming in that direction.
Thanks again!

coolformula 12-27-2007 01:03 AM

This combo is proven and you WILL FEEL results.

Konia SA 3/4 or 4/4
Sams front and rear bars
double adju UMI panhard bar.

Big DIFFERENCE. I have had couple of setups and this one is very nice! I think you will be happy with the results :)

Also sam is a great guy to explain and help you, but this is a great combo!

Urban Legend 12-27-2007 04:18 AM

I will tell you this: Stick with Sam Strano and you will be fine. Do not bother going to someone else. Sam is who you need.

Sam Strano 12-27-2007 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile (Post 8373078)
Thanks for reply, What shocks do you recommend for a dd ( I use the term dd loosely) I was checking out the SLP bilstien shocks or is that not a good choice?
I rode in my buddies 06 STi and I absolutly loved they way it drove and handled. I was kinda aiming in that direction.
Thanks again!

Well SLP's are not around either, they are caught in the mega-Bilstein backorder of 2007.... But none the less, they aren't nearly as good as you can do. I'm an SLP dealer so when they are available I can sell those too you, but I don't like the valving because they just don't offer the control in rebound they should.

The STi is quite firm and they handle well. I can make your car handle much more like that, but with a ride that has a bit less impact harshness. You probably liked the way the car was really tied-down feeling, firm, controlled, right? While springs and bars help that, it starts with the shocks, they are what control roll and pitch rates, the other things control the amount. But you tend to notice and feel the rates first.

mike1500 12-27-2007 04:39 PM

Sounds like Sam Knows his stuff

Sam Strano 12-27-2007 04:53 PM

I try.... :)

pwterz28 12-28-2007 12:15 PM

i am in the same boat. i like the look of the lowed cars with sams springs, i just dont want to end up with a car that is not going to be tolerable to drive. i still want to be able to drive over speed bumps and go on lifts with scraping the nose and anything under. anyone have issues like that.

lugnutt 12-28-2007 12:47 PM

Sooo...
What is a good spring/shock set up for a car you want to lower 1.5 inch? I dont want the all out coil over suspension. Just stock style springs and shocks that will handle better than stock.

JD_AMG 12-28-2007 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile (Post 8373078)
Thanks again!

Listen to Sam, he will point you in the right direction. I bought my Koni 4/3's from him, night and day difference with these things:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....21&postcount=8

slomarao 12-28-2007 10:29 PM

shocks are going to make the single biggest improvement. shocks arent cheap either so be prepared.

Detoxx03 12-28-2007 10:51 PM

Can't go wron with strano

hpjunky98 12-29-2007 01:37 AM

I dont even need to say anything

but i will.... STRANO / KONI !!!!!

That is all

Sam Strano 12-31-2007 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao (Post 8384500)
shocks are going to make the single biggest improvement. shocks arent cheap either so be prepared.

There are a lot of cheap shocks.... *GOOD* shocks aren't cheap. :)