Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension people please come in....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suspension people please come in....

ok, I know my plan isn't the most popular, but I'd still like to get some feedback on this. I recently purchased a set of stock upper/lower front a-arms to have rebuilt. When I take out the old ball joints & bushings I'm gonna get the arms powdercoated red to match the rest of my suspension upgrades.

My question is who here has rebuilt a stock a-arm by themself?? What size press did you use & could you run me thru the process real quick, possibly give some tip on how to do it without fighting with them.

Are they easy enough to remove that I could use a drill press without a bit in it to remove & install the new bushings & ball joints or does it require a larger press?? Of coarse I wouldnt turn the drill press on, just it like a press only.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

why risk damaging the drill press.....slip a shop $20 and they'll probably do it for you quick.

how are you planning on getting all the corrosion off the arms? i would think a soak in an electolisis bath would do the trick.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

That or a small blasting cabnet. They are getting powdercoated, so I'll probably blast them off good & then drop them off to get coated.

I might just do that then since there is a couple shops close to my work.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

ok, just recieved them & there isn't hardly any rust. I'm actually suprised. Not it appears that the ball joints are riveted in, but I'm not 100% for sure. So it appears I'll just be taking them to a local shop & telling them to remove the stock stuff & me back the bare arms to drop off for cleaning & coating.

Then I need to call Strano back & order all my new bushings & ball joints.