Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Emergency brake needs tightening?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake needs tightening?

heres the deal: one morning(early around 6 AM) i got in my car to go to work. i was still half assleep though and left the ebrake up for about a quarter mile. (VERY stupid thing to do.) Ever since then it seems like the brake wont "tighten" or catch until i really yank it up. when i first bought the car it caught a lot sooner. The brake light still comes on but the brake doesnt always feel like its there when its not yanked high enough. My question is, is there some way i can easily tighten this up so it will catch easier. I was hauling some *** the other night and went to use the ebrake to slow down and i really had to pull on it to slow down. Any help is really appreciated!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to take the tires off and the rotors and under neath the emergency brake there is a adjuster ,Do not use the emergency brake to stop with ,there a drum style brake and the pads are very very thin to begin with, and expensive.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

lt1 rear brakes use the same pads as the foot pedal, if thats what you have e-brake away with no worries. After some adjustment of course.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think mine needs adjusted as well, I have to pull it pretty far before the brake catches, and even so when I let off my main brakes when on a slope or something the car still shifts some. Just doesn't feel like it grabs well.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Launching!

So its going to be a complete bitch huh? Someone told me all i had to do is take the cc off and tighten some bolts. I knew it was too good to be true...
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes, a complete bitch. But well worth the time. (Our cars have a special patented mechanism, which is unlike most other cars.)

You will need to turn the star wheel to the left to extend the shoes out to the rotor. There is a locking plate behind the star wheel, which keeps it set in place - so it may take a good amount of force to turn. It should "click" as it turns. (Mine was a bit gummed up/rusted and I had to take the assembly apart and re-lube to get it to turn.)

The adjust:
- make sure you release the parking break first!
- take off the rotor, then turn and extend the star wheel to spread the pad, then put the rotor back on and test
- with the rotor back on, check the play in the brake with the actuation lever behind the backing plate. Just pull the lever until the pads make contact with the rotor. Spec is 3mm of play at the end of the lever where the cable attaches. (So, when its tight, there will be very little movement.)
- then take off the rotor and repeat as necessary until you have the right play.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for that info, all the manual says is "see the dealer"

Quick Reply: Emergency brake needs tightening?