Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rotor/pad install gone wrong. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New rotor/pad install gone wrong. Help?

I bought new rotors from Harry (shockwave) and new ceramic pads. I pulled the rotor off starting on the front and replace the rotor and the pads. I started putting the caliper back on the rotor and it will not go. I know the caliper is self adjusting, but once I got the caliper back on the rotor, the rotor will NOT turn at all by hand. I used a C-Clamp to push the piston back to get the new pads on and it just did not work.
Then I started on the rear and after taking the rear caliper off, it basically came apart at the gasket sleeve on each end of the caliper. Any ideas on what to do next? I don't want to buy new calipers and I know I can get the hardware kit.
Any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty sure when you compress the caliper is eventually uncompresses if you take to long putting it on. Should be fine after startup. As for the rears, the rebuild kit is probably just as much as a used set of calipers. And is the sleeve ripped or it just popped out?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

The bracket isn't letting the caliper slide. The top part moves on the pins, but the bottom doesn't move. That's what's making it not fit I believe. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it to move???
Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Customizing Director

Are you talking about the guides? It could be that one if not both are rusted and need to be replaced or cleaned/re-lubed.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:05 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah that's exactly what it is. The pin is seized. I think I'm gonna try heating it and removing it, then removing the other one too and replacing both of them and new boots also. Now it makes sense why the new pads weren't working with the new rotor. I just assumed the free-floating caliper was working correctly until I realized it wasn't working at all on one side.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Customizing Director

Yup that would be it . Same thing happened on my Audi, except of both guides and on both sides of the car!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be careful heating it up...
when you get the pin out....buff it with something to get all the rust/corrosion off there and put some anti-seize on it
should be fine

Quick Reply: New rotor/pad install gone wrong. Help?