LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   first suspension parts (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/871053-first-suspension-parts.html)

neals98 02-25-2008 06:44 PM

first suspension parts

I have a 98 camaro i have alot of mods done to motor and a 9 inch. I am wanting to know as far as suspension parts what would you all buy first, second,third, and so on. and which parts would help the most......THANKS

djfury05 02-25-2008 07:05 PM

sub frame connectors first... make sure they are welded in too.. you can buy the bolt in ones, but after bolting them on, get them welded.. after that panhard bar, and LCAs

BMR Suspension 02-25-2008 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by neals98 (Post 8791460)
I have a 98 camaro i have alot of mods done to motor and a 9 inch. I am wanting to know as far as suspension parts what would you all buy first, second,third, and so on. and which parts would help the most......THANKS

What are your goals for the car? which are you more concerned with streetability or drag strip performance?

Steve Burger 02-25-2008 08:53 PM

I will offer to work with you on designing a suspension to meet your current and future goals. I have done this with several board members. Some bought our stuff and others we were not able to assist due to constraints on their setups. Either way it can be good to talk over.

Let me know.

jmilz28 02-25-2008 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by djfury05 (Post 8791629)
sub frame connectors first... make sure they are welded in too.. you can buy the bolt in ones, but after bolting them on, get them welded.. after that panhard bar, and LCAs

Bad advice. We need to know your goals/intended use, and budget. That's the order I did mine in and it was a mistake. For a street car - shocks first. If you're more of a drag guy, but still primarily street - go the Bilsteins or something comparable. If you want it to handle, get the Konis. Fact is, there are some really fast guys on Bilsteins and Konis. You don't have to get the crappy QA1s, they're just no good for the street IMHO.

Next, for more straight line, get PHB or TA next. For handling, get sway bars.

Really, you need to realistically plan your goals and budget and discuss it with Sam Strano or BMR. Sam's advice is solid and he's a good listener.

At the end of the day, my Bilsteins did more for every aspect of handling, control, and traction than every other mod combined...and with no penalty.
The shocks are the weakest link on these cars, regardless of your goals. Start there first.

We need to know your goals and budget to really be of help.

neals98 02-25-2008 09:11 PM

I will mostly look for making my car hook up on the street and the track......I am a drag racer not too much on the curves of a road.

DVS99TRANS 02-25-2008 10:28 PM

LCAs and SFCs are a must i think for any f-body. Especially SFCs if you don't have them yet. I would go SFCs, then LCAs after that. Panhard Rod plants the rear pretty damn well for just daily driving and makes the car feel much more stable. I just wouldn't be doing massive launches with out SFCs first. Especially with that 9". That is just from a chassis stand point not including shocks and springs/coilovers.

waldershrek 02-26-2008 01:17 AM

Well based on your wish to hook better at the track I would say LCA's, brackets and a tunnel brace mounted torque arm.

neals98 02-26-2008 09:48 AM

Ok i got the SFC's

DVS99TRANS 02-26-2008 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by waldershrek (Post 8794582)
Well based on your wish to hook better at the track I would say LCA's, brackets and a tunnel brace mounted torque arm.

Can't argue with that, got to plant that rear since you already have SFCs. Even if it is going to be a street car that goes to the track from time to time.

jmilz28 02-28-2008 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by neals98 (Post 8792685)
I will mostly look for making my car hook up on the street and the track......I am a drag racer not too much on the curves of a road.

Still need to know your budget. Which transmission would be helpful too.
How much power are you making/times you are running?

Are you having problems: axle hop, breaking parts, poor control?

We need more info to really help and only Steve and BMR's responses indicate that they know that.

gold98Z28 02-28-2008 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by jmilz28 (Post 8811677)

We need more info to really help and only Steve and BMR's responses indicate that they know that.

breaking parts here.lol:bomb:

DVS99TRANS 02-29-2008 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jmilz28 (Post 8811677)

Not to be bashing, but keeping it a street car and ocasionally to the track??? What is wrong with what has been said? The parts that are listed prevent wheel hop, get the torque arm off the tranny regardless of it being a t-56 or 4L60E, and gets the power to the ground for a run with the 9" with tires. Plus the car will still have a everyday driver feel to it. Doesn't sound like he wants a 1.3-1.4 60'. Sorry just don't like the way that what said.

'02SOMz28 02-29-2008 09:15 PM

Will suspention make your car drive ruff, its a daily driver but i would like to launch at 5000rpm's...??

SOMbitch 03-03-2008 01:23 PM

:secret2:

Originally Posted by '02SOMz28 (Post 8825680)
Will suspention make your car drive ruff, its a daily driver but i would like to launch at 5000rpm's...??

Not really rougher but noisier yes. Beefier parts seem to transmit more noise, vibration etc...

xBROKEx 03-03-2008 02:22 PM

SFC's just a bandaid for other suspension problems( ie shitty shocks/springs) id do those first and by then you wont be able to tell a diff with or without the SFC's. If you want you chasis more rigid just go ahead and do it the right way and get a cage.

Steve Burger 03-03-2008 03:57 PM

SFCs are not a bandaid, and not a waste of money. A unibody car relies on the floor pan to tie the front frame and rear frame together. SFC give a lot more suport to the entire chassis. They tie the 2 frame halves together. Yes a cage will add structure. Yes we put SFCs in cars with cages. I have them in my 10PT car and will keep them with the 25.5 cage.

5301113 03-03-2008 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS (Post 8799258)
Can't argue with that, got to plant that rear since you already have SFCs. Even if it is going to be a street car that goes to the track from time to time.

+1 :D