Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering Question???

Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Question???

Im lowering my camaro this spring and already have strano springs that i havent put on yet. Im going to order the Koni 4/3, LCA Relocation Brackets, and Adjustable Panhard Bar. Is that all I need for lowering??? Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

damn dude, you sound set.
just get an alignment right after you are done. you prob. know that though
Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by IA2000SS
Im lowering my camaro this spring and already have strano springs that i havent put on yet. Im going to order the Koni 4/3, LCA Relocation Brackets, and Adjustable Panhard Bar. Is that all I need for lowering??? Thanks
The koni 4/3 is a good choice to dampen the Strano springs properly and give you the ability to handle any other springs if you were to change in the future (but I doubt you will ever change from Strano springs)

When you lower the car, the angle of the LCAs will go downward from the axle to the chassis. This angle is worse for launching and can be more prone to wheelhop, but doesn't mean you will wheelhop. I rarely wheelhop, only once in a while and I have the Strano springs.

The relocation brackets can put the LCAs at an upward angle from the axle to the chassis which will help force the wheels downward during a launch. The cons to this is that during a turn, the angles of the control arms will pull the axle forward on the inner turn side and cause the axle to point in the opposite direction of the turn, causing more oversteer.

There's some info on relocation brackets for ya. You can decide whether or not you need them.

The adjustable phb can be used to recenter your rear end upon lowering the car. The axle under suspension travel moves slightly side to side, not just straight up and down due to the way the phb is connected to it.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree that you don't need LCA brackets when lowering. I also do not run them on my car, no need for what I do. No wheelhop either. To lower properly, all you need are the right springs, shocks that match and an adjustable PHB to re-center the axle. Basically what I put into my HP1 kit (http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7).

I'm not saying that some cars won't need other things if the continue to, or start hopping. I'm saying let's see. Here you have two guys already who don't have wheelhop issues without brackets, and both cars are driven quite hard. I don't believe in parts without a real-world reason. Not all cars require the same things.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No LCA relocation here with no wheelhop either. We'll see if that changes in the next month when I'm puttin down 410 rwhp+ after the H/C swap I'll keep ya posted!

Break down and get a set of sways too.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Alright, I'm bringing up an ancient thread, but I have a question.

Do I REALLY need an Adj. PH bar?
I'm wanting to lower my girlfriend's '98 SS for her birthday present. It's stock other than repro. black motorsports, gears, and exhaust, and she does NOT drive it hard, so would it be detrimental to just skip the panhard bar?
Thanks guys
Old 06-26-2008, 08:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Black C5 Z06
Alright, I'm bringing up an ancient thread, but I have a question.

Do I REALLY need an Adj. PH bar?
I'm wanting to lower my girlfriend's '98 SS for her birthday present. It's stock other than repro. black motorsports, gears, and exhaust, and she does NOT drive it hard, so would it be detrimental to just skip the panhard bar?
Thanks guys
Lowering the car can cause the rearend to become misaligned right/left. An adjustable phr is the only way to correct this, centering the rearend under the car. We offer a couple variations of adj phr's (pics attached), which can be adjusted while on the car. The PHR002 (first pic) would best suit your application, as your girlfriend's car is a street car. We also offer a set of lowering springs, and a pic of a T/A with them installed is attached also. Please give us a call if you have any further questions, and we can discuss your options which best suit your desires - our sales/tech lines are open 8:30 - 6:00PM EST, Mon-Fri.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so then you don't need an adj tq arm either? You just recomend buying one of your kits and see what symptoms come up or don't come up?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
so then you don't need an adj tq arm either? You just recomend buying one of your kits and see what symptoms come up or don't come up?
Absolutely need one no...benefit from one possibly. The "need" really depends on your particular application and what your trying to achieve with the vehicle.

Our lowering packages are designed to help save you a few dollars and aid with some basic suspension component choices.

If you are looking for more of a recommendation for your particular application I would be more than happy to over all of the choices I have available for you
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^

Thanks you; and i will def be consulting with you before i purchase. My car is going to be a canyon carver with some (light) track time just for bsing and fun. I'm more worried about handleing. I just don't want to spend 3K on an entire suspension re-haul if i don't need too; at least not all at once. Eventually i will have EVERYTHING done (k-member, sfc, ect) but right now i just ant to know what i need other then an adj phb. Also my car is NOT for competion and probably wont be either. It is just a street cruiser and show car.

it is just hard b/c everyone somewhere says you need everything. u kno?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just give Lee a call, he will go over what you expect out of your car and suggest the right parts to get the job done. Our tech/sales dept is available MON-FRI 8:30AM-6:00PM EST.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kool thx
Old 06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
^^^

Thanks you; and i will def be consulting with you before i purchase. My car is going to be a canyon carver with some (light) track time just for bsing and fun. I'm more worried about handleing. I just don't want to spend 3K on an entire suspension re-haul if i don't need too; at least not all at once. Eventually i will have EVERYTHING done (k-member, sfc, ect) but right now i just ant to know what i need other then an adj phb. Also my car is NOT for competion and probably wont be either. It is just a street cruiser and show car.

it is just hard b/c everyone somewhere says you need everything. u kno?
Just FYI you don't need anything over what you have stock.
And you definitely don't need to spend anywhere near $3,000 on suspension for a street canyon craver. Good shocks, springs and swaybars(matched together for handling, not all just thrown on from different companies, check out strano's setup, specifically designed together for handling) will be more than enough (assuming you have good tires) for suspension. You definitely don't need SFCs, or relocation brackets if you are going for handling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering Question???