Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeeky new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeky new brakes

I just put some new brake pads on my car, and at the same time had the rotors turned. When i went to put it back together i cleaned the rotors really good with brake cleaner to make sure there were no shavings left on them, and now my front left brakes sweek like hell every time i apply light pressure to them? Is there any way to fix this without having to pull the whole thing back apart?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you didnt put that grease stuff on the back of the pads before you put them in.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

No - there is no way you can fix things without taking everything apart. If you did properly grease the back of the pads and all of the metal-to-metal contact points around the pads & hardware, you may have a wheel bearing going bad. (Grease and the anti-squeal clips are probably the prime culprit though.)

When you changed your brakes, did you also replace the three metal anti-squeal hardware clips on the caliper?

I had a similar situation as you have. After I replaced my brakes, I found that I still had squealing coming from the bearings. (70K miles on them) With all the brakes off, I turned the hub by hand and found they felt like a meat grinder. I replaced the bearings and all went silent.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you break them in properly?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
No - there is no way you can fix things without taking everything apart. If you did properly grease the back of the pads and all of the metal-to-metal contact points around the pads & hardware, you may have a wheel bearing going bad. (Grease and the anti-squeal clips are probably the prime culprit though.)

When you changed your brakes, did you also replace the three metal anti-squeal hardware clips on the caliper?

I had a similar situation as you have. After I replaced my brakes, I found that I still had squealing coming from the bearings. (70K miles on them) With all the brakes off, I turned the hub by hand and found they felt like a meat grinder. I replaced the bearings and all went silent.
Put the new clips on, did not put grease on the back of the pads as i have never done this and had no problems, maybe this time is different though.

Originally Posted by stockerws6
Did you break them in properly?
As far as i know.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

when i put my new brakes on they squeeked like crazy for about 30 miles and they had a funny smell but I put thermo-quiets on there and now I cant hear them at all.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

its normal for them to squeak when u first get them on...just wearing off a coating that comes on the rotors. Dont worry about it
Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
its normal for them to squeak when u first get them on...just wearing off a coating that comes on the rotors. Dont worry about it
They have been on for about 1000 miles
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it doing it at all different braking pressure/ speeds or is it just sometimes?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackangel327
when i put my new brakes on they squeeked like crazy for about 30 miles and they had a funny smell but I put thermo-quiets on there and now I cant hear them at all.
I use the same. Wagoner Thermaquiets from the local parts store.

No brake noise ever.