LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   Eibach Sportline w/ KYB AGX (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/879590-eibach-sportline-w-kyb-agx.html)

Lil_J_99SS 03-09-2008 11:09 PM

Eibach Sportline w/ KYB AGX

Does anyone have this setup and is too rough for everyday driver? Please help any advice is appreciated!!!

hpjunky98 03-10-2008 12:08 AM

Horrible spring thats too low for its soft spring rate. KYBs aren't going to help much with the ride either. You'll hate that setup. Search is your friend...

Mojave 03-10-2008 02:04 AM

Sportline = crap

Sportline + KYB = double crap.

Strano springs = awesome

hpjunky98 03-10-2008 04:36 AM

Strano springs + Koni SAs = Double awesome

95TAGary 03-10-2008 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by hpjunky98 (Post 8890637)
Strano springs + Koni SAs = Double awesome

What's the drop on the Strano's? When people say 1.5" drop is that 1.5" lower than stock so if I measure what I have top of wheel to fender will that be 1.5" less? I put on 18" wheels and trying to feel in the gap as much as possible. I already made one mistake going with 265 tires instead of the stock 275.

Lil_J_99SS 03-10-2008 09:15 AM

Thanks all for the help and advice would the pro kit be any better or the same with that it is just that i am on a budget right now have about 900-1000 to spend with install as well

hpjunky98 03-10-2008 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 95TAGary (Post 8891114)
What's the drop on the Strano's? When people say 1.5" drop is that 1.5" lower than stock so if I measure what I have top of wheel to fender will that be 1.5" less? I put on 18" wheels and trying to feel in the gap as much as possible. I already made one mistake going with 265 tires instead of the stock 275.

Stance in sig

hpjunky98 03-10-2008 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lil_J_99SS (Post 8891287)
Thanks all for the help and advice would the pro kit be any better or the same with that it is just that i am on a budget right now have about 900-1000 to spend with install as well

Pick up a set of Koni SAs and install them yourself on the lower perch, and remove the spring isolators. The Pro kit isn't bad, but if you can afford it, ALWAYS get quality shocks over any springs.

SSWS6 03-10-2008 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by hpjunky98 (Post 8892505)
Pick up a set of Koni SAs and install them yourself on the lower perch, and remove the spring isolators. The Pro kit isn't bad, but if you can afford it, ALWAYS get quality shocks over any springs.

Ya I would do that. Then you'll get a good stance and a good ride and you won't have to change springs. Should be within your budget also.

badazz99ta 03-10-2008 02:30 PM

very good advice. buy some konis and set them on the lower perch and remove the isolator. as soon as i get money, this is exactly what i plan on doing.

Fast Toys Performance Parts 03-10-2008 05:53 PM

Strano Springs!

Definitely go with the Strano springs! Sam was the SCCA fstock champ for a number of years so he knows what makes an fbody handle:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...oducts_id=1396

275.00 shipped within the continental U.S.

They are also lighter than most other aftermarket springs.

If you can afford them, go with the Konis. If not, the KYB AGX's are decent with the Strano Springs.

BlackBirdWs6Zzz 03-10-2008 07:41 PM

i'm about to do the pro kit with KYB AGX shocks. Heard this will be alot better. I hear nothing but bad things about sportlines

94TRANS 03-10-2008 07:57 PM

^pro kits not much better from what i here?

SOMbitch 03-11-2008 11:28 AM

I have driven both as well as hotchkiss, bmr, vogtland(sp) and one or two others and the stranos have a noticably better ride. As a matter of fact the eibachs were prolly the worst and seemed like the easist to put on the bumpstops. I realize shocks can affect this too but just poor engineering IMO. Sorry to all you eibach guys out there!

Striker 03-11-2008 12:08 PM

I see that a lot of you are removing the rear spring isolators. Is this any good to do, and what exactly do they do?

hpjunky98 03-11-2008 03:02 PM

It lowers the rear end about 3/4 an inch

Striker 03-11-2008 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by hpjunky98 (Post 8901788)
It lowers the rear end about 3/4 an inch

Yeah i could tell from the photos that it lowers the rear some more, but what exactly do they do, and is there any harm or dissadvantages to removing them?

Fast Toys Performance Parts 03-11-2008 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Striker (Post 8902124)
Yeah i could tell from the photos that it lowers the rear some more, but what exactly do they do, and is there any harm or dissadvantages to removing them?

If you remove them you will hear more road noise and sounds from the suspension.

On a side note, the Strano springs are almost sold out and then it will be a while before more are available. If you want a set, order now :)

hpjunky98 03-11-2008 06:29 PM

You shouldn't hear more road noise at all if you replace them with some rubber hose. The whole point of the isolators is to avoid metal on metal contact. If you remove them and don't put on any type of rubber hose, then yes, there will be significantly more noise.

REDHOT7 04-11-2012 12:58 AM

Eibach/KYB Worked Just Fine for me (albeit front-end only)

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mojave (Post 8890392)
Sportline = crap

Sportline + KYB = double crap.

Strano springs = awesome

.... and to all the other posts that say Strano is the only way to go, Eibach sucks, Eibach springs sag, etc, etc, etc..... But there's dozens of hits on internet that speak quite highly of Eibach. Here's just a few of what I found.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/CarDom...330080229.html

http://autoholics.com/2011/01/03/Car...Winners-487774

http://www.pr-inside.com/cardomain-c...f-r2349083.htm

Face it. German engineering has always been considered superior, and while I wouldn't trade my Firebird for a BMW (though BMWs are far superior in quality) they lack the sex appeal of the 4th gen f-bodies. As for Eibach, all I can say is that any company that wins 5 consecutive years as the people's first choice in suspension on Cardomain.com, a social network of over 2 million car enthusiasts, can hardly be labeled as putting out "crap" products. That's why I decided to drop the front end of my 98 Trans Am using a combo of Eibach Sportliner springs and KYB AGX shocks.... yea I know, "double crap"... One word of caution though, and even KYB told me this. Their adjustable AGX shocks are really designed for the Eibach Proline springs, NOT the Sportliners. HOWEVER, the tech rep I talked to also told me it was safe to use them with the Sportliners as long as I stayed away from any setting below 4. He said I'd run the risk of blowing the shocks at setting 1, 2 or 3. He recommended a setting of 5 for the front shocks but just to be safe, I set mine to 6. Since there are 8 settings with 8 being the stiffest ride, I expected my Trans Am to feel like I was riding on a go-cart. Not even close. I couldn't believe how comfortable the ride was. I hit a few dips in the road and the worst I heard was my air dam scraping the pavement. No bottoming, no noise, and absolutely no degradation in comfort. Best of all, it now corners like it's tied to rails. It helped too by not doing the rear suspension, and instead simply putting 255/60-16s in the back which took up all the ugly gap in the rear fenders. With the bigger tires in the back and the Sportliners in front, it's been trans-formed from a sedan-looking coupe to that sexy wedge look that I missed so much when I traded in my 95 Camaro. Anyone wanting to put some sex appeal in their F-body with a limited budget should consider this configuration. Sure Koni's may be king, but unless you plan on tearing your car up on the track, why spend 3 times the amount of money? Take a look at my profile pics of the before and after look.