Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

really torn on brake upgrade....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
PFC's are crappy street pads. They make GREAT racing pads, but the stuff you get at your parts store from the is pretty bad. Actually the Z-rated pads are worse IMHO than the "basic" PFC pads.

I sell a ton of Hawks (and we have rotors too). For that matter we have a couple combo packages of rotors and pads. One is the 4 rotors and 2 sets of pads, and we have kits that include the pads, rotors, brake fluid and stainless steel lines (5 or 6 line kits if you have ASR/TCS or not). The kits we sell have HPS's included because HP Pluses are normally more than most folks want. I don't really love them, and use HPS's on my own car.

would u recommend going that route first? is it going to be a noticeable upgrade? like i said this car is getting challenging to stop at speeds these days and im not trying to put it around a tree because my brakes cant keep up with the output of the vehicle.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Not uncommon with a sliding caliper. The inners tend to always show a bit more wear. If it's real bad it's probably due to sticking hardware (sliders, etc) which is VERY common on LS1 cars.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
would u recommend going that route first? is it going to be a noticeable upgrade? like i said this car is getting challenging to stop at speeds these days and im not trying to put it around a tree because my brakes cant keep up with the output of the vehicle.
Absolutely I would. Pads are what clamp on the rotors and what are ultimately stops the car along with the tires. Rotors are friction surfaces, you buy good rotors to prevent warping and so on, not to increase grip. If the rotors were fine, I'd tell you skip changing them. But it seems they might be a bit long in the tooth too.

Huge brakes don't really stop the car any faster, they deal with heat better. And C5 stuff isn't HUGE compared to LS1 stuff anyway. And FWIW, it's only in these days of 15" rotors on 911's and F430's that our 12" rotors all around seem small. They really aren't, and cheap or ineffective pads will make you not stop very well, regardless of the rotor size.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would trust Sam's recommendation. Since he's compared your pads to others and says the ones you have suck, you would definitely benefit from his recommendation in brake pads. Looks like your brakepads are your biggest weak point.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club

ya i will def be looking into his rec. honestly that makes me feel alot better. i like the look of my drilled/ slotted rotors but they were $250 so im sure they arent anything great. how important are the rears? i took my original stuff off with very low miles and i could always reuse the stock rear rotors with a good rotor up front and good pads all the way around right? or should i really do all 4? in all honesty im a cheap son of a bitch when its not making my car go faster but i think this has become more of a safety standpoint.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:59 AM
9 Second Club

looking around there are huge diff in rotor pricing. power slot and bremo slotted rotors are hella expensive where as ate arent too bad and brembo blanks are downright cheap. are their major advantages to one over the other?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good pads are all you need if the brakes are mechanically good. You should have plenty of brake to lock all wheels or kick in ABS at 50mph when all is right. Inspect, lube and replace all parts that need it. Some pads just don't bite as well as others. Personally I like the pfc front street pads. They have more grip/bite then stock. I have hawk hps on the back and they are good too, but the friction seems to spike a bit when they get hot.. At least it did when they were new. Balance with this combo on street tires, for street driving is good.

IMO pfc's are better than all the other AZ pads for sure and close to hps. I have never had hps in front though, so I can't comment on that directly, but I have plenty of front brake grip, so I'm not sure why you would not with the pfc.