Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Low dust pads that still stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Low dust pads that still stop

I'm looking for a low dust pad that still stops. What I'm hearing is that I need to get a ceramic pad but which one? I think I'm gonna get some of the EBC Green Stuff pads from Tirerack. They are kevlar and claim low dust and low wear on the rotor while still increasing brake performance 30% over stock pads and still having good bite before warm-up. I have Fikse so low dust is good. I'm getting the zinc plated rotors from irotors so low rotor wear is good. I race to 130 often enough so increased performance is good. And I drive to work and school every day only ten minutes each way so good bite before warm-up is good. Just getting a second opinion. Any other suggestions? Thanks- Mike W.

P.S. I'm NOT going to get SS lines. I don't auto-x so I don't see a point and brake pedal feel is already great to me. Will I see any difference?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Low dust pads that still stop

Increased braking performace can be achieved by several avenues ...

more swept are - larger diameter rotors or larger (in/sq) pads
stickier tires - the adhesion coefficient is what really stops the car
pad compound - like sand paper, it takes less effort to sand with 1000 grit than 60 grit. But 60 grit removes a LOT more material or has more bite than 1000 grit.

The ceramic and kevlar pads take heat better, so they are less prone to fade. But that has very little to do with dust or bite. They just retain the bite they have longer under continuous braking.

While I've never run an EBC pad, I've seen Green stuffs on a Vette and they dusted pretty bad.

FWIW ...
Old 07-24-2003, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Low dust pads that still stop

We are running Hawk HPS on a friends car, not too dusty so far and they stop great.

Quick Reply: Low dust pads that still stop