Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SO I have all this suspension stuff... What does each part do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SO I have all this suspension stuff... What does each part do?

I have the following BMR suspension stuff installed on my TA

LCA (w/ relocation brackets)
TA (body mount bracket)
Panhard bar
SFC

LCA: What is there general purpose. In other words, what do they do technically irrespective of whether or not they are stock or aftermarket? I know that the aftermarket ones are supposed to reduce wheel hop, but that is merely the performance advantage.

TA: But what is the performance advantage of the aftermarket TA? I know the technical reason for having it it to connecting the rear end to the car. Why Did i need an aftermarket one?

Panhard bar: What the hell does this do? Why did i need an aftermarket one aside from the fact that i could use the relocation kit to give me additional room for TDs under the axle?

Thanks guys, I am just trying to understand my car a little better. I know the suspension feels different, but I had it all done at once so it is difficult to tell the discrenable affect from one part as opposed to another.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LCA: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/su...arm-angle.html

TA: aftermarket (if adjustable) is to change pinion angle; see post above

Panhard - if adjustable, to recenter rear after lowering
Old 03-23-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is also true if you have an aftermarket rear end? Is that Why I needed it with my 9"?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lower control arms transfer the windup force of the axle to the frame. Replacing the factory control arms with aftermarket ones that have rod ends, or polyurethane bushings, just helps reduce the windup even more.

Torque arms are used on rear wheel drive vehicles. A torque arm also helps transfer axle windup force, but is more effective than lower control arms due to its length and size.

Panhard rod helps control side to side sway of the rear end.

When upgrading the different suspension components on the rear end, typically your trying to eliminate movement of the rear end. Which will help with wheel spin and handling.

Last edited by 2002 SS #476; 03-24-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the best ways to learn what each component does is by going to different vendors that sell these items, and read their descriptions of the parts. don't just rely on the description of one vendor, though, as you will have no reference to weed out the marketing crap with actual fact.