Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Koni's ok without fronts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Koni's ok without fronts?

Like the title says I have a set of rear Koni's but can't afford fronts yet. Is it alright to put the rears on without the fronts? I also have a set of Strano swaybars to go on in a few months. Car has about 80,000 mi on it with the stock shocks if that makes a difference? It still rides well but would like the extra handling.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on putting them on my rear only just for 1/4 track reason. fronts are too much for me and I dont think they will help at the track much.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

sweet, didn't really think it'd be a big problem but I don't want to lose control of the car because the front is loose and the rear is tight. But I guess the shocks are adjustable huh? lol
Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

ha, im about to do the same thing. I have qa1's all the way around and my backs need a rebuild and im just tired of how crappy the handling is with theses. Since im not money bags im just getting the back koni's and maybe a set of sams springs for now and when i get that oh so wonderfull irs check i will be changing the fronts. I think you will be fine but the ultimate answer your going to get is to have matching shocks all the way around otherwise the handling will be very different from front to back. Where are you in nj, could make a mod day or something and help each other out. Backs are pretty simple to change to boot.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

at browns mills, by mcguire/ft dix. Mod day sounds fun! All I have with me are those shocks though. Everything else was sent to my parent's in IL since I ordered the stuff in the desert should have waited til I got back so I would have something to do lol.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
Like the title says I have a set of rear Koni's but can't afford fronts yet. Is it alright to put the rears on without the fronts? I also have a set of Strano swaybars to go on in a few months. Car has about 80,000 mi on it with the stock shocks if that makes a difference? It still rides well but would like the extra handling.
You can do it but I would save up and get the fronts as well.

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
sweet, didn't really think it'd be a big problem but I don't want to lose control of the car because the front is loose and the rear is tight. But I guess the shocks are adjustable huh? lol
The rears on the lowest settings still have way more rebound than the stockers.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

You can't go wrong I did the same thing over 8 months ago and im just know thinking of buying the fronts, Ride quality was improved dramatically in the back of my T/A
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

what settings and what springs were you guys using. I got the stockers in there now
Old 03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran around with stockers up front and Konis in back for 2 days before i had time to install the fronts. The car was more prone to transitional over steer, but it was drivable.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

More info on this from anyone???? I was thinking the same thing myself. Sam sells them separate so I would assume it is do able. Anyone else actually do this and have an opinion.

I know the car wont ride perfect but unless it is completely 100% uncontrollable I think it sounds better then waiting a year to cough up enough money for front and rears. I mostly drag the car anyways no roundy round courses yet. It rarely even gets driven on the street unless I am going to the track thats 15 minutes away anyways.

What do you think Sam is this something that is super dangerous. I know it wont be perfect but the crappy stock shocks are far far from perfect especially with the car being lowered.

I personally have driving tanker trucks with 10 ton of moving liquid riding around behind me on twisty turny roads day in and day out for years in the past so this can not be any where near that bad lol.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you're really in a pinch for some new shocks, why not just save up and get the full set at once? are you that bad with money that you can't trust yourself not to spend it on something else while you're saving?

if you wait & save, it will pay off in the end (literally), because you will save some money by getting it all at once in a package deal, vs. in separate orders.....not just on the up-front price, but the price in shipping as well.

if you've already got them, then go ahead and put them on, but if not, just wait
Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your going to get either the rear or the front, save up the money and get the fronts...
Old 03-28-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
unless you're really in a pinch for some new shocks, why not just save up and get the full set at once? are you that bad with money that you can't trust yourself not to spend it on something else while you're saving?
i agree with ya whole heartedly but I got a good deal on used rears but don't have money for the fronts yet. think I'll just throw them on today or tomorrow and let everyone know lol. Thanks for ya'all's opinions though!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

I rode on just rear konis for 6 months had no problems then I got the fronts and wow does the car ride much better now
Old 03-29-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

hpjunky is right on. I put in the rear koni's last night and did a quick ride with them full soft but the car was really loose. So I put them one full turn from the hard setting and she has a lot of oversteer but the rearend is pretty tight. I'm gonna do some more adjusting on them today.

another question tho.. I did have the Koni's on full soft, but as I was swapping them I tested those and my old shocks, the old ones seemed firmer, harder to push down but popped up a lot faster... This right? I heard the koni's were more firm? Is it from the different design of the shock itself or do mine need rebuilt? I bought them used with about 20,000mi on them

Quick Reply: Rear Koni's ok without fronts?