Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI poly/rod adjustable PHB and LCA's adjustment/alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI poly/rod adjustable PHB and LCA's adjustment/alignment

Good day all!

I am planning to buy UMI's adjustable PHB and LCA's poly/rod combo. My question is how easy is it for an alignment shop to align it afterwards? I was reading on installuniversity that you need to really hammer those in into place so I was wondering how hard is to find a place that is willing to align your car for you afterwards if those are difficult to put in since this combo can't be adjusted without removing one end.

Thanks in advance,
Simon
Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant speak for the poly rod but i have the double rod end phb and it pretty much dropped into place.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Poly/Rod UMI PHB and LCA's. They are set to length already to drop in. I had to make 1 full turn on the PHB to get it to line up with the holes. Afterwards I set a plumb bob of both fenders and found the axle was 1/4" off to the driver's side. UMI says that approx 1 full turn equals 1/8" so I should have left it alone and moved the axle instead. I have yet to do this but have been told it is not too hard to move the axle from side to side to line up with the PHB length once it is unhooked.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Hi Simon,

I do ahve the poly/rod combo LCA and PHB on my car. It was no problem to mount them and I really didn't need to hammer them in.

I had a worn rod end soon, but I think this happened because the car was on the lift and the axle hanging down, when I torqued the bolts. With the poly/rod combination, the load should be on the suspension when you tourque the bolts.

With the poly rod combo, you have to loosen one side to do the adjustment, but that's not a problem.

Holger
Old 04-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
Hi Simon,

I do ahve the poly/rod combo LCA and PHB on my car. It was no problem to mount them and I really didn't need to hammer them in.

I had a worn rod end soon, but I think this happened because the car was on the lift and the axle hanging down, when I torqued the bolts. With the poly/rod combination, the load should be on the suspension when you tourque the bolts.

With the poly rod combo, you have to loosen one side to do the adjustment, but that's not a problem.

Holger
Friedburg huh? I am assuming you are in the Army...what unit? I was stationed in Friedburg in the early 90's.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I'm living in Friedberg and... yes, I was in the army, but it was the german army and it was in the early 80's...

I'm German!

But if you've been here too, you probably know the "Friedberger Brauhaus" and are still dreaming of the beautiful german girls and washing your car at the ESSO-Station...

Do you know, that the U.S.-Army gave up the Friedberg casern?

Hope you had a good time here...

Holger
Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Launching!

Thanks Silver99Z28, ssgunny and Black02SLPSS

I'll make sure when I install my PHB and LCA's that the suspension is loaded. When you mean loaded do you mean with a jack under the rear differential barely supporting it's weight or the car sitting on it's tires on the ground?

How much trouble is it to align for an alignment shop to do it? My rear is off centered and definetely needs adjustment.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
Yes, I'm living in Friedberg and... yes, I was in the army, but it was the german army and it was in the early 80's...

I'm German!

But if you've been here too, you probably know the "Friedberger Brauhaus" and are still dreaming of the beautiful german girls and washing your car at the ESSO-Station...

Do you know, that the U.S.-Army gave up the Friedberg casern?

Hope you had a good time here...

Holger
LoL...yes dreaming of Licher and ze German frauliens. I was an enlistedman in the Army so I coudn't have a car, but I know the ESSO station you speak of.

AND I am missing the, how shall we put it...the special district in Frankfurt, just outside the hauptbanhoff...

50 Marks shure went a LONG way... LMAO

Wow, so the kassern is no longer there huh? I wonder where those units are now stationed? I think the 2nd Armored division is still in Germany, but maybe they've been moved to the States...

Thanks for the info and good memories!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fishv12
Thanks Silver99Z28, ssgunny and Black02SLPSS

I'll make sure when I install my PHB and LCA's that the suspension is loaded. When you mean loaded do you mean with a jack under the rear differential barely supporting it's weight or the car sitting on it's tires on the ground?

How much trouble is it to align for an alignment shop to do it? My rear is off centered and definetely needs adjustment.
With the term loaded I would think you would need the full weight of the car. I did my car on a drive on lift but if you used jack stands under the axle supporting the rear of the car that should work.

I think that you can center the rear yourself by taking some measurements off the fender wheel opening in relation to the wheel. If you don't want to check with the shop before getting the work done to make sure they know what the heck they are doing. Our rears are not adjustable with the original PHB/LCA's on the car and they maybe clueless to the adjustability of the aftermarket stuff.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_Cravin
50 Marks shure went a LONG way... LMAO
I was in Mannheim/Sandhoffen 88-92 and it cost me 60DM!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

i have double adjustable rod ended LCA. how do i adjust them on the car? can i just drive up on a lift and loosen the jam nuts and adjust the LCA then tight it back down? how do you properly measure to get the wheels centered in the wheel well?

Quick Reply: UMI poly/rod adjustable PHB and LCA's adjustment/alignment