Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what springs to go with????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what springs to go with????

hey im having a really really hard time picking what lowering springs to go with i have a 99 camaro ss with the 1LE suspension and i dont know if i wanna go with the pro kit or the sportline kit....im more thinking towards the pro kit just because i dont know how low i can go due to the 315's in the back any help would be great thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Defin not sportlines, whatever you do.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why would you want to take out 1LE springs for Eibach springs???
If you are going to lower the car go with strano springs.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not a fan of Eibachs from experience. How much do you want to lower it? I'm planning on either Hotchkis or BMR based on my own desires. Hotchkis keeps it like stock as far as ride goes, don't know a ton about BMR, but their rear spring rates start at where the Hotchkis stop, so BMR's are stiffer in the rear.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Teching In

i dont know much about other springs thats the only reason im leading to go with eibach springs... ive heard the 1LE is a great set up and i have no problem with the way it handles and feels i just cant stand how my car looks like a 4x4 haha its seems that since its white it looks even taller
Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Stranos

Stranos!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SAHARA
i dont know much about other springs thats the only reason im leading to go with eibach springs... ive heard the 1LE is a great set up and i have no problem with the way it handles and feels i just cant stand how my car looks like a 4x4 haha its seems that since its white it looks even taller
Yeah, I would steer away from eibach springs for our cars. You can search for it here, but the sportlines are probably the worst spring made for us. They lower the car too much (resting on bump stops) and don't have near enough rate for how low they are(this means you hit the bump stops more often and harder). The Pro-kit is better, but has a rear spring sag issue, and that alone makes me doubt their quality.
Strano springs (stranoparts.com) are specifically made with handling in mind, and have excellent street manners. Sam Strano designed them from his experience auto-xing (and winning).
And since you have a 1LE car you have the Koni DA shocks, so all you need(its not 100% required though) to go with the springs is an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the rear end after being lowered.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

FWIW, not all Eibach's are the same.... I still use some, and some are among the best alternatives to mine. Some suck. I'm not going to get into semantics here, just wanted to let you know that not all Eibach's are created equal or are subject to "sag" or lack of spring rate issues.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

officer sam has spoken!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Teching In

thanks everyone for all the info soo far im trying to look beyond the eibach springs... the stranos are a 1.25" drop tho.. would i notice that much of a drop? and would i still want to keep the koni shocks that came with the car from fatory or should i look into changing them too?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not a fan of Eibachs from experience. How much do you want to lower it? I'm planning on either Hotchkis or BMR based on my own desires. Hotchkis keeps it like stock as far as ride goes, don't know a ton about BMR, but their rear spring rates start at where the Hotchkis stop, so BMR's are stiffer in the rear.
I have Hotchkis and the rear could be stiffer. I really like them, especially since I did not buy them. But if I were to buy some, I would want stiffer rear springs based on my experience, the fronts are fine.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

My vote goes to strano.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, you'll notice a difference.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Redlinez
I also have Hotchkis. After reading all the great reviews of Strano Spring, I really, really wanted them, but they are, unfortunately, on backorder. Call me impatient, but I went with the Hotchkis, in lieu of the Strano. It was mostly due in part to the fact that I have some CCWs coming in this week . Anyway...Hotchkis advertises a 1 inch drop, but it looks to be WAY more than that in front. The rear barely seems to have even moved. However, despite the slam in front, the Hotchkis seems to still be a good, firm ride. Nothing too harsh at all. Not teeth-chattering, but just firm enough to remind you that they are doing what they were designed to do.

Here are some before and afters:
Attached Thumbnails what springs to go with????-z28-7-.jpg   what springs to go with????-z28.jpg  
Old 04-15-2008, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You know, I sell Hotchkis too (one of the brands we carry). I could have discussed those with you, as well as other options..... They do look pretty low in front, and that's one reason I tend to not use them a lot because they are sometimes hit and miss on thigns like height.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SAHARA
thanks everyone for all the info soo far im trying to look beyond the eibach springs... the stranos are a 1.25" drop tho.. would i notice that much of a drop? and would i still want to keep the koni shocks that came with the car from fatory or should i look into changing them too?
You will notice. I just installed a set of strano's on my dad's car this weekend, and it looks 1000x better.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You know, I sell Hotchkis too (one of the brands we carry). I could have discussed those with you, as well as other options..... They do look pretty low in front, and that's one reason I tend to not use them a lot because they are sometimes hit and miss on thigns like height.
No worries, Sam....the Hotchkis are just a temporary thing. Trust that I will grab a set of your springs once you have more in stock

jess
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Just another option for anyone who's swaying towards Prokits, Summitracing. Same rates for less $. I know there's more than rates to springs, but my money says they're the frickin same.
knyt3walker- seems BMR would be ideal for you based on the numbers.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Again, if you can't wait for mine, I'd urge folks to call me to discuss other options. They do exist. And while some suck and I'll tell you that, some are pretty good alternatives to my springs, if not great or quite equal to IMO. But I'd rather discuss the options and get you as close as we can if you can't wait, then just bail to any old spring set.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Well, Sam, I guess I need to call you up. Tried this AM, but I'm not sure what timezone your in. I don't mean to come across as arguing with you, I guess I just can't believe there isn't really a good set of "other" springs, but you've more than done your own R&D. As I said to someone else, you can't expect "good" results on a low dollar budget.

Quick Reply: what springs to go with????