Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground control coil-over kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground control coil-over kit?

How do you guys feel about the ground control coil-over kit? Anyone have any experience with it? I found a couple threads over the search, but thought it wouldnt hurt to ask.

My roommate just put ground control on his CTS-V and loves it so far. But his purpose is for road racing. What im looking for is mostly appearance and trying to ditch the factory 4x4 package. I'm not too sure on how low I would like to go because my exhaust set up doesnt have great ground clearance, so I think the adjustable ride height would be ideal.

My ws6 is a daily driver, that will probably see the track a few times a year at the most. I know the Koni/strano is what everyone says to do if you want it to be adjustable, and I would LOVE to do that but spending 1000+ for suspension right now is out of the question. If any of you could chime in that would be great! Thanks for the help

-Ryne
Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know the avg price of the GC adjustable suspension kit, but at ws6store it's a little under 400. That doesn't include shocks and springs. You're going to be close to 1000 no matter what.

GC seems to be a bitch to install from stuff I've read in the past. Also if you add them to Konis, they will void your waranty.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's been several threads lately about using KYB AGXs. They're not a bad shock, they just adjust rebound and compression at the same time, which isn't great for tuning at all. Still, people use them as a budget alternative and a lot of folks like them.

As far as springs go, MAC, Strano, or LT1 Prokit are the only ones i would run without getting into a custom set of springs. All offer a moderate drop and have sufficient spring rates to handle the decrease in travel.

If you want a moderate drop, and want the car to ride and handle 1000x better, just pick up a used set of Konis and set them on the lower perch and remove the rear spring isolator for a nice 3/4 inch drop all around.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:51 PM

what do you think is the best sespension is.?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

GC coilover kit or Strano springs with Koni's.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I don't know the avg price of the GC adjustable suspension kit, but at ws6store it's a little under 400. That doesn't include shocks and springs. You're going to be close to 1000 no matter what.

GC seems to be a bitch to install from stuff I've read in the past. Also if you add them to Konis, they will void your waranty.

not sure what GC kit you are looking at... but the ones i have seen include the springs and you can use the factory shocks. I know its better to upgrade the shocks while your at it though. But yeah I have also heard its not much fun to install, but having the option to adjust the ride height would be worth it to me.

you can get the kit straight from GC for 419.00.

Anyone else have anything to add?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have several comments to add here.

1. You mention just appearance. you'll pay more than just lots of money to get some sort of random appearance with the GC coil-overs. You'll get the headaches of finding ways to adjust, worring about realignment after adjustment, all sorts of suspension geometry problems, and poor corner weighting.

2. Not only is it not much fun to install that specific kit, but it's also lots of modification the shock itself, especially on Koni's. Still a major hassle.

3. Customer service from ground control is almost non-existant. I speak this from experience.

Really, the Strano springs are already low enough as the workable suspension travel on most street F-bodies go. Also, since you're lowering, it's highly advised to get shocks that have proper valving for the job. Not only did the factory DeCarbon's have poor valving to begin with, but also they're all practically over 5 years old by now, and need replacing.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
I have several comments to add here.

1. You mention just appearance. you'll pay more than just lots of money to get some sort of random appearance with the GC coil-overs. You'll get the headaches of finding ways to adjust, worring about realignment after adjustment, all sorts of suspension geometry problems, and poor corner weighting.

2. Not only is it not much fun to install that specific kit, but it's also lots of modification the shock itself, especially on Koni's. Still a major hassle.

3. Customer service from ground control is almost non-existant. I speak this from experience.

Really, the Strano springs are already low enough as the workable suspension travel on most street F-bodies go. Also, since you're lowering, it's highly advised to get shocks that have proper valving for the job. Not only did the factory DeCarbon's have poor valving to begin with, but also they're all practically over 5 years old by now, and need replacing.

Good info, thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
I keep seeing this pop up in GC threads and have to wonder why it's considered difficult to install or necessary to modify the shocks.

Yes, one could grind down/modify the top hat of the shock to fit the threaded sleeves but many of us choose a different (easier) path. We just unbolt the silly thing.

I cut down an impact socket and, using two vise grips, had the shocks apart and both sleeves installed in less than 10 minutes.

Installing the kit and springs is way easier than changing a set of "normal" springs IMO.

*shrug* To each his own.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ironhead
We just unbolt the silly thing.

I cut down an impact socket and, using two vise grips, had the shocks apart and both sleeves installed in less than 10 minutes.
I think Koni used blue Loctite (or whichever color is the permanent one) on some of those nuts (or else they welded the damned thing on there)!!!
It seems that some of us could NOT break that thing free with all of the heating, torque, whatever in the world, no matter what.
Sometimes there was NO choice but to grind/wheel that hat!!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, and unfortunately on mine I had to resort to the grinding, but for others, the cut socket worked quite well.