Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Couple of Koni shock questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple of Koni shock questions

I installed the 4/4 Koni shocks with Eibach pro springs on someone`s car. First, I was wondering what people are setting them at with the same setup? I have the rears turned 1/2 turn and the fronts turned about 4 1/2 turns. Car has a very stiff ride. The car has a Moser 12 bolt and no rear sway bar. Is it riding the bumpstops or do I need to turn it down some more? Do I need to shave the bumpstops and if so, how much?

Also, I didn`t install the rubber isolator that goes on the bottom of the spring on the front shocks. Car sits level. Do I need to put them back on? What will them not being on there affect?

Thanks a bunch
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Why don't you have a rear swaybar?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, the front lower isolator needs to be there. The Eibach's are generally quite low and not firm enough for their height. The ride tends to suffer when you slam onto the bumpstops harder quicker than you should. The heavier 12 bolt adds unsprung weight, which doesn't do the ride any favors. You can try the shocks at different settings, but I don't think you'll find an earth shattering difference. A little less rear should soften things up a touch, but the can't cover for more unsprung weight or a spring issue.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Why don't you have a rear swaybar?

As I originally said, it`s not my car. I don`t know why there isn`t a sway bar on the car. However, the customer says they want to put one back on.

So put the rubber isolators back in the front and shave the bumpstops, right?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I wouldn't shave the bumpstops if you are using prokit rear springs. I've heard of some people removing bumpstops, but they are using stiff enough springs that will support the car and not bottom out and even that's a debateable issue. Regardless the prokit rears don't qualify in that category by any means. I'd hate to see you bottom out on a koni, and that will make the car ride even worse and possibly wreck the shock.

Not to mention that shaving the bumpstops, if we are talking about a z28 triangular bumpstop, will probably only make the car ride worse. If you remove the triangular portion of the bumpstop, you turn it into a blunt ended bumpstop removing the progression or cushioning of the car into the bumpstop.

If the car is an SS or WS6 and has the blunt ended bumpstops with the spacer, switching to the z28 triangular shaped bumpstop and ditching the spacer should help the ride quality a bit and improve handling stability as well.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car is a 2000 Firehawk. All I know it rides terrible
Old 05-17-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All Eibach LS1 springs SUCK
Old 05-17-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
All Eibach F-body springs SUCK
fixed
Old 05-18-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
fixed
Haha. I have never driven the LT1 springs but hear they are a "little" better. I guess that still leaves them in the SUCK category though lol.

Quick Reply: Couple of Koni shock questions