Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear rotor rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear rotor rattle

So, my 02 Z28 has had this rattle coming from the rear. I had the rear end done around the time that I got the car, so I can't remember if the rattle was there before the work was done. That does at least tell me that the rotors aren't rusted on like most cars.

If I ever pulled the ebrake up a notch or two, the noise would go away. Today, I replaced the rear pads to investigate further. It seems that there is a bit of play between the rotors whatever they may be touching. I confirmed this by tapping a rubber mallet against the rotor while it was still mounted on the car. When I wasn't touching anything, I would hear the rattle. When I put pressed the rotor back against with my hand and tried again, the noise went away. The old pads only had about 15% of their life left, so I thought maybe somehow they were causing the issue. Well, replacing the pads didn't help anything. I even replaced the chatter plates, etc. with a rear disc brake hardware kit from Autozone and put anti-squeal on everything.

The rotor is supposed to be sandwiched by the wheel, right? So, that kinda defies my logic about the whole pressure agains the rotor thing. Could it be whatever is behind the rotor that is causing the rattle? It definitely seems to be brake related considering pulling up the ebrake a bit gets rid of the noise.

By the way, both the driver's and passenger's side make this same rattle. If it helps any, you can't really hear the rattle from inside the car when you have the windows up. Although, depending on the bump, even with the windows up I might hear something that sounds like the rotors boucing back and forth between the pads. It makes the car sound like a POS. Any ideas?

Last edited by pscmj84; 05-17-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, the rotors are sandwiched between the axle and wheel. From your description, it sounds like that is not happening. I would suspect that your lug nuts are bottoming out on the studs and not letting the wheel fully tighten down. Are you using a closed end lug nut? If so, replace them with an open end one and see if the rattle goes away. If I'm right, your also ridding around with loose wheels. Also, check that the back side of the rotor and the face of the axle are free of rust, burrs and anything else that can keep them from seating properly.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'm assuming that you are using a stock type 1 piece rotor. If your using a 2 piece rotor, some rattle is normal.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2SLOWT/A4NOW
Yes, the rotors are sandwiched between the axle and wheel. From your description, it sounds like that is not happening. I would suspect that your lug nuts are bottoming out on the studs and not letting the wheel fully tighten down. Are you using a closed end lug nut? If so, replace them with an open end one and see if the rattle goes away. If I'm right, your also ridding around with loose wheels. Also, check that the back side of the rotor and the face of the axle are free of rust, burrs and anything else that can keep them from seating properly.
Well, I think they are the open end lug nuts. Open end means you can see the inner area of the lug nut, correct?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure these are the original stock OEM rotors. I'm starting to think it has to do with how the rotors sit against the axle.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Banned

Did you check the torque on all the mounting bolts?
I bought a car recently that had a similiar noise, I found the rear caliper bracket bolts loose.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Yes I did check all the bolts back there. I don't feel like taking everything off again today after doing the pads just yesterday. I'm pretty sure it didn't make this noise before the rear end was put it in, so I think I'll just take it back to them and explain to them what's going on.

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Did you check the torque on all the mounting bolts?
I bought a car recently that had a similiar noise, I found the rear caliper bracket bolts loose.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

have you had the rotors turned recently?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
have you had the rotors turned recently?
I haven't had them turned, but they may have been turned before I bought the car.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

well if its a rattle then my question may not matter at all but if it is more of a clicking noise then clean them either soap and water or degreaser to see if it will take it away. i have had a couple of comebacks at the dealership because i would turn the rotors and clean them with brake clean and they would click real bad. took em off and cleaned with degreaser and soap and water and noise went away. but that is the only thing i can think abt if its more of a clicking noise.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

If it stops by pulling up the e-brake a little start looking there.the retaining clip could be broken on the e-brake shoes inside the rotors.

Quick Reply: Rear rotor rattle