Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drilled and slotted rotor issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drilled and slotted rotor issues

I was thinking of buying a set of drilled and slotted rotors. I am now hearing of some people saying don't get the drilled just do slotted because the drilled ones can crack. Anybody heard of this happening or should I go with the drilled and slotted.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
I was thinking of buying a set of drilled and slotted rotors. I am now hearing of some people saying don't get the drilled just do slotted because the drilled ones can crack. Anybody heard of this happening or should I go with the drilled and slotted.
Yes its true but they look so good, and had my set of bears for six years and no problems.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Really any rotors can crack. I just think they occur more on drilled rotors and slotted ones. When looking for rotors I look for the quality of the material and everything, and I prefer blanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

holes and slots merely create weak points....its 99% a visual thing to have the "performance" look. 60 years ago the brake pads were made of inferior materials that gave off a gas that necessitated a way to remove it, but modern pads do not generate this. If you're willing to soak up the cost of replacing rotors and pads more often, then go for it. Otherwise stick with a quality set of "blanks"

I would find it hard to believe that drilled/slotted rotors make any reasonable difference...if they did then Formula One, CART, NASCAR, and many other racing series might use them, fact of the matter is, they don't.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

if you want to get them for looks than buy baer or brembo slotted and drilled, dont go out looking for the 400 set cause they will crack early. I just bought a set of brembo blanks and ill be happy with those as long as they perform that's all i care about
Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 PM

It's looks only mod. I did it. No issues. Depends on how you drive the car as well as the quality of rotors you start with.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

A good thing to look for is cryo treated rotors from what i've heard. I just picked up a set, if i have any issue i'll be sure to post up.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
holes and slots merely create weak points....its 99% a visual thing to have the "performance" look. 60 years ago the brake pads were made of inferior materials that gave off a gas that necessitated a way to remove it, but modern pads do not generate this. If you're willing to soak up the cost of replacing rotors and pads more often, then go for it. Otherwise stick with a quality set of "blanks"

I would find it hard to believe that drilled/slotted rotors make any reasonable difference...if they did then Formula One, CART, NASCAR, and many other racing series might use them, fact of the matter is, they don't.

U said it best
Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

check this out about drilled/slotted/cryo-treated rotors also!

http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.html

I hope I didn't come off as trying to **** on anyone's parade...I love the slotted/drilled look as much as anyone else. But I also hate to see people "waste" money on parts which they think will increase the performance/practicality of their cars.

I would venture a guess that most people who claim braking gains by installing cheap slotted/drilled rotors, probably feel the gains just from having new pads, clean and fresh rotors, bleeding the system, and greasing the slides.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh no hard feelings here. I just got them for a cheap price lol. Figured what the hell, they look cool (125 for all 4)

Trust me i already knew the issues they have, and the fact that they don't really do anything for performance. But I'm planning on painting/decaling my calipers so they would make a nice compliment to them.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used bear eradispeed for a couple of years now with no problems.They stop on a dime.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

I hope I didn't come off as trying to **** on anyone's parade...I love the slotted/drilled look as much as anyone else. But I also hate to see people "waste" money on parts which they think will increase the performance/practicality of their cars.

I would venture a guess that most people who claim braking gains by installing cheap slotted/drilled rotors, probably feel the gains just from having new pads, clean and fresh rotors, bleeding the system, and greasing the slides.

You killed my dreams, i thought i was stopping 100 feet shorter..........not really good info
Old 05-29-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey thanks for that link. I am currently running cryo treated brembo blanks on my car with the hopes that they will last longer. My last set of brembo blanks were below the discard thickness long before the pads were considered done. I have 20 autox events on them now, and I need to measure their thickness to see how they've held up. Once I know, I'll post the results.