Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Springs and koni struts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strano Springs and koni struts?

I just got both the struts and springs and was able to get the spring on the strut with mount without using a spring compressor is this normal?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't think so. LOL!!!I had to use one to put my strano springs on my Koni struts!! Your best bet is pull Sam Strano's name and PM him. He'll be able to give you the facts. Almost sounds like you forget to put in the top rubber piece thats triangle is shape and is like 1" by 1 1/2 and sits ontop of the top rubber piece thats got the studs sticking out of it Just guessing now!! Ide think you forgot something though ?? or the wrong springs got shipped to ya ??
Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

It's normal... sort of. The springs are short enough you can put it all together, but I recommend using a compressor so you make sure you aren't tightening the nut that holds the shock mount against spring tension.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-30-2008, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine went on very easy, didnt have to compress the spring much at all to tighten the nut. However, I set my lower spring mount to the lower slot on the shocks too.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

FYI.. that's not recommended. You can do what you want, but it's more drop than I speced the spring rate for, and that in turn doesn't make the Koni's particularly happy as you run a bigger risk of pushing through the bumpstop and maybe breaking a shock.

Just wanted to warn you on that, and would urge you to move to the upper perch height with our springs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I forgot about this but I noticed this when I put the strano's on the koni's. I did use a spring compressor but didn't have to compress it that much.

It's good to know it's normal.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
FYI.. that's not recommended. You can do what you want, but it's more drop than I speced the spring rate for, and that in turn doesn't make the Koni's particularly happy as you run a bigger risk of pushing through the bumpstop and maybe breaking a shock.

Just wanted to warn you on that, and would urge you to move to the upper perch height with our springs.
Is there an internal bump stop in the shock or are you talking about the rubber portion on the upper mount that hangs down in the top of the springs?

At any rate, I moved the rings up to the top position after work yesterday...I was able to put those screw type compressors on the springs with the suspension loaded, tighten them up, and then let the control arm drop so the lower mount could be slid up the shock exposing the rings. I'd have to say that car rides better, less choppy...but I do miss the lower look but it's not worth messing up a shock.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There is a bumpstop under the dust boot... I'm glad you opted to move up on the perch, that's what they are meant to do. And is sounds like aside from the look it rides better (good) and it will only help to not kill the shocks over the long run.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my front strano springs went on my koni's without having to use a spring compressor....had to use one to take the stockers off, tho.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They will go together without using a compressor. However we still recommend one because you can't get the shock mount nut tightened correctly if the spring is pushing on the shock mount as you tighten the nut. The result can be a clunk due to the nut being loose. The nut will feel tight because you are pushing against a 550 pound spring, but often isn't, and it sucks for folks to have tear the front end down to re-tighten that nut when they only needed to compress the spring a bit to start with.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then maybe i just got lucky, because i have no clunking at all on mine...and they've been on for at least 4 months, probably more.....and a daily driver
Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Launching!

What the torque spec on that nut? The top nut on the shock/spring assembly.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanna way its about 30 ft-lbs.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you don't mind me asking a question in here...the triangular piece mentioned above then goes in the mount itself where the large nut gets tightened? Then the upper control arm sits over that, correct?

Quick Reply: Strano Springs and koni struts?