Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Unofficial KYB AGX Thread (again)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i got my rears on and set to 4 and big differance. i dont know when ill get to do the fronts
Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i finally drove my car today and what a big difference teh shocks made.

the only problem i have is that something somewhere in the rear is still squaaky not as much but can still hear it i guess its going to b the bushings for something else
Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bobbyd
well i finally drove my car today and what a big difference teh shocks made.

the only problem i have is that something somewhere in the rear is still squaaky not as much but can still hear it i guess its going to b the bushings for something else
i got a squeek after i swaped my rear out too
Old 07-20-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

For those that have questions.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

i installed my rears but im concerned. these shocks compressed very easily by hand. i had kyb gas shocks before and to compress them i had to push them against a solid object. i was able to compress my AGX's by hand on both the 1 and 8 setting. are they supposed to be this soft? i still haven't dropped the motor in the car so I can't drive it to see how they feel.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that too when I installed mine, but they were fine after I installed them, so I guess that's just how they are.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

my rear where soft like that to, the fronts where stiffer, i got the front on yesterday, some how i messed up a wheel stud, so i didnt push the car hard, i did have the rears on 4 with the stock fronts but i set them all to 5 yesterday. back feals a lil loose. might turn the rear up 7. but so far im in love
what are your all's current front and rear settings.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'll probably bee ordering a set of AGXs and stranos after I get done with the exhaust. I'd like to have the konis, but I really can't afford to spend almost $900 on shocks right now, mabye in the spring but that would still be questionable. So my reason for going with the AGXs and stranos is I can either spend $1200 or about $600, seems like a fairly easy and I can upgrade to konis later on. But right now I may have a good deal on some bilstein hds and eibach pro kit or the sportlines (its the lower one). I can get the shocks and springs for around $100 if I pull them out and give him my old stuff

But so far the AGXs look like a decent shock, but not the best available.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

wanted to throw in that the piston thread is 3/8-24 for anybody needing to clean up the thread or replace the top nuts.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Teching In

I went from stock DeCarbons and springs to Eibach Prokit Springs and KYB AGX's and I felt that the setup was too soft. I tried all settings and like others have mentioned, were too soft. While driving on the highway, I felt the front of the car bob up and down. I ended up calling up Sam Strano, and got a set of Konis instead b/c of the Bilstein backorder situation.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

ttt
my fronts are now on 5 and rear on 7. love it!
i have 245/50/16 mabye when i get my new 17X9.5 with 275/40 ill try some new settings

also i think the reason for my rear being at 7 is that i have a 9"
Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Guess I will join the KYB adjustable crowd here! I just ordered a set and plan of getting them with Hotchkis springs.

I didn't felt the need to dump $800+ in shocks alone for a weekend cruiser.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

I'll probably be joining the KYB/strano guys soon too. I have almost 93000 miles on stock DeCarbons and springs, so upgrading to strano/KYB would probably be better. I can't justify spending 1300 for springs/shocks/PH bar. You can get KYB's, stranos, and PH bar for as much as koni's.

Coupled with strano sway bars, I think it'll be an alright ride for the money.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Just a reminder that we do carry AGX's (and Bilstein, and Tokico, and Edelbrock too as well as Koni's). I make it a point to try and be well rounded with our options so that customers know recommendations aren't given to you based on what we have. We have more variety than most anyone else.

If I can help, let me know. As always I appreciate the business and do my best to offer the best tech support.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just a reminder that we do carry AGX's (and Bilstein, and Tokico, and Edelbrock too as well as Koni's). I make it a point to try and be well rounded with our options so that customers know recommendations aren't given to you based on what we have. We have more variety than most anyone else.

If I can help, let me know. As always I appreciate the business and do my best to offer the best tech support.
got any pics of AGX's with your springs?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

I was wondering, would the Hotchkis 1" drop springs work better with the AGX's than the stranos?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by bobbyd
got any pics of AGX's with your springs?
I don't.... but it doesn't matter. Shocks don't set ride height unless the spring perch can or is moved. Only Koni's can do that as far as "normal" non-coil-over shocks are concerned. And I do not recommend that on lowering springs.

In short, the springs give you the height, not different dampers.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
I was wondering, would the Hotchkis 1" drop springs work better with the AGX's than the stranos?
No.

I sell Hotchkis too, in fact sold a set yesterday.... They will not work better than mine with the AGX's. The AGX's have enough damping to deal with my springs, the issue is durability and overall polish. That won't change regardless of which springs are used.

But don't forget the Hotchkis aren't a light, are truly progressive, and IMHO don't gain rate quite quickly enough to counter the drop. 90% of the time they work fine for those not driving super hard. But there are times when you hit a certain kind of bump or dip that the wheel moves very quickly and sharply. The spring gains rate, but is in a sense 'behind' the rate needed. The result is you run into the bumpstop harder and faster than with mine.

Hotchkis are on my list of "will use" springs, as opposed to my "junk and don't touch" list. And again I sell those too--along with others. I don't believe it's true that everyone needs my springs, and there are instances where alternatives are helpful. But in this case, regarding this particular question I do not feel the Hotchkis springs will work better than mine.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

How long do you think the shocks will last with stranos as a 100% DD?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
Well I guess that would be up to you to decide if it matters...

KYB AGX's adjust both compression and rebound with one ****. You don't want too much compression than needed because it will hurt ride quality as well as performance. So increasing compression while your increasing rebound isn't really ideal if you ask me. That's what makes Koni's great is the compression static setting is satisfactory for many springs, and you can adjust rebound independently.

2nd... you might want to search before assuming Hotchkis is only a 1 inch drop. From what I've seen is that the Hotchkis kind of dip lower than Strano's in the front.

3rd... Hotchkis rates vs Strano rates aren't too far off except for the progressive vs linear. Hotchkis supposedly have a hair lower springrates at their highest rate coils, and not something I want if the springs sit lower than Stranos.

So in my opinion, it wouldn't really matter which spring you get. KYB's will always adjust compression when I don't want them to. KYB's will always have worse build quality. KYB's will always have crappy warranties and replacement policies. Going between Strano's and Hotchkis springs isn't going to effect those factors, and those factors are huge.

EDIT: Just saw Sam's post above. Refer to his post for spring differences. Though my opinion on the shocks still applies

Quick Reply: Unofficial KYB AGX Thread (again)