Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing Koni 4/4 + Strano's: Any advice on installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Sounds like you're able to deal with the spring compressor, but if you're chicken like me , NAPA will change the springs for about $20. (plus that left them to deal with the rust top nut. )
+1. A shop with a wall mount or pedestal compressor can have them changed out in no time. Inexpensive and money well spent, IMO.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ls1howto.com is a pretty good sight...matter fact i used it to install koni's and stranos but i think i did something wrong cause the passenger side is lower than the driver side...in any case the instructions are on point...good luck
Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I got as far as removing the sway bar end links the other day, before I got seriously attacked by hungry, hyper-aggressive mosquitos, which quickly put an end to the install. I'll either check with Napa or try again this weekend.

Any more advice out there?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

checked with NAPA... $375 > $20... Calls for over 3 hours of labor just for the fronts. I don't know where the $20 came from, but not around here... Looks like I have a weekend project ahead of me...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Cool

Whoa 370? Are they nuts? That better be the full install. I just took mine up to the local Midas and they took apart the factory strut assemblies AND reassembled the new Strano/Koni strut assembly for $40. Unfortunatly the upper strut mount wasn't reusable but I got new ones from car quest and so Midas could put the struts together. Then All I had to do then is take the assemblies home and put them in the car. :-P

Last edited by GIJosh; 07-17-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I think he priced me for the full install of fronts/rears. I thought I needed some of my stock pieces to be able to set-up the springs on the shocks? Still a little unsure of how to put these Koni's together correctly. They give you very little instructions, and the instructions are awful and barely show you anything...
Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIJosh
Whoa 370? Are they nuts? That better be the full install. I just took mine up to the local Midas and they took apart the factory strut assemblies AND reassembled the new Strano/Koni strut assembly for $40. Unfortunatly the upper strut mount wasn't reusable but I got new ones from car quest and so Midas could put the struts together. Then All I had to do then is take the assemblies home and put them in the car. :-P
no to high jack this thread, but do you know the part number of that upper strut mount??? i need to order some
Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by dankl
checked with NAPA... $375 > $20... Calls for over 3 hours of labor just for the fronts. I don't know where the $20 came from, but not around here... Looks like I have a weekend project ahead of me...
Some fool didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about when he quoted you that. But it doesn't have to be NAPA. Find an alignment shop, or anyone who does shocks and suspension ... as long as they have a good mounted spring compressor, you'll be in business. It shouldn't take them more than a half hour to swap in your new shocks. Even for $50, it's a heck of a bargain compared to working on the floor with a rent-a-compressor.

This is assuming that you remove the shock assemblies and bring them in.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i reinstalled my konis and stranos today... because i had to have the adjustment thing twords the brakes and useing a wall compresser helped alot...when installing your strano's and koni's on a wall mount compresser i used the impact gun just to get the nut started(first 3 threads)...some folks may not agree on that procedure because you may strip the threads(but it worked for me)...anyhow once you get it started take it to the vise grip and start torqueing it down to 33lbs(be sure to hold the adjuster window center because when you start torqueing it will spin on you...good luck
Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can also get front strut mounts from summit. i just bought mine there for $50 a piece if i remember correctly. they are KYB.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cals400ex
you can also get front strut mounts from summit. i just bought mine there for $50 a piece if i remember correctly. they are KYB.
thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get the spring compressor from Autozone...there really is nothing to it. if you can take the strut/spring out you can certainly collapse and replace the spring. Save the $50 or whatever and have the front end alligned with it!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Figured I would update the thread. Did the front struts/springs a few weeks back. First problem I ran into was getting the control arm seperated from the spindle arm. After getting the right angle with the hammer, it came unattached and fell. First shock/spring combination went smoothly, damn autozone spring compressor was a real pain with only small sockets and such...Nut came right off, even though it looked very rusted. Threw in the new set-up.

Next came the drivers side. Nut just spun on the shaft of the strut. Damnit!!! Went to all the neighbors trying to find the right size wrench and some vise grips. Finally got the tools I needed, but couldn't get the nut to budge at all. Spent all day trying to get it, but couldn't. Next day I borrow a car and ran up to my mechanic. They couldn't get the nut off either. Finally just sawed through the nut and strut shaft. Used the "wall-mounted" compressor and threw the combination together. Much better than the rental compressor, lol.

All is well. Had the shop do the rears while they replaced my rear-end, since they needed to come off anyways.

Car sits beautifully now! Perfect amount of drop and the ride is perfect. Koni's + Strano's all the way!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Glad it all came together for you. I warned you about that nut on the shock mount cutting it off is the less stressful methos IMO. Now post up some pics and lets see how it came out.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

^^^If I can ever get a hold of a camera I will definitely post...
Old 08-08-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

glad to see it worked out.

i just did my fronts a week ago. from what ive read in this thread, i feel blessed to have a car with only 18k miles on it. no rust on that top nut.

separating the spindle arm was cake with a picklefork. i just wedged it in and a little force and it came out.

i bought a set of spring compressors for $30, a craftsman 19.2volt impact drillm, and some extra sockets, and the job came out great. plus i got to expand my tool collection.

with all of the poisitive stuff i hear about strano...i would have gotten his springs if my car didnt already have GMS springs on it...but i must say, car handles great now.

Quick Reply: Installing Koni 4/4 + Strano's: Any advice on installation?