Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to tell if springs are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to tell if springs are bad?

I have recently changed my back shocks because when I would drive over a bump or train tracks it sounded like my car would just bottom out or the tires were hitting the bump stops. Do springs go bad and how can you tell?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Springs don't go "bad", shocks do, and bushings do. Your problem is probably the shocks. Are you running the stock decarbons (orange/black)?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

I was running them but got replacements just about a week ago.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

two things could be happening....cold weather will cause a thump type noise or if they are shot the easiest way to "ghetto" test em is to try and bounce the bumper up and down a few times. you will get a little bounce/rebound, but if you significantly notice movement then it's time for some new ones. I currently run the strange double adjustables; sits a little low for some reason but quite happy with them. Springs RARELY go bad, although I have had them pop right out on some hard launches....
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3rdDegreeBurns
I was running them but got replacements just about a week ago.
And you notice no difference?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

honestly not really, it feels the same as before I replaced them just notice some squeaking when I'm driving over bumps or turning. And by squeaking it sounds like one of those squeaker toys when I hit bumps or turn left or right.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Could this be bad new shocks?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

honestly not really, it feels the same as before I replaced them just notice some squeaking when I'm driving over bumps or turning. And by squeaking it sounds like one of those squeaker toys when I hit bumps or turn left or right.
No surprise...

Could this be bad new shocks?
Bad as in "worn out", no. Bad as in they come valved badly? Yes.
The stock shocks suck, period. Too much compression (this is what you are feeling in the rear) and not enough rebound (floaty, disconnected feel).
So the question will probably come up "what should you buy then"?
I say call Sam Strano at stranoparts.com, tell him exactly what you are looking for and he'll advise you on what will work for you.
As for me, I can tell you right now Konis will eliminate this (assuming all else is okay with your suspension), because I know the exact feeling you are talking about with the stock shocks, and after putting on Konis on otherwise stock suspension its a totally different car. I will never own another fbody without at least Konis.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

I was orignially going to go with bilsteins but i was told that since i wasn't autox or racing it woudln't matter on what shocks. So i just got some Monroe shocks from O reilly as that was all they had.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was orignially going to go with bilsteins but i was told that since i wasn't autox or racing it woudln't matter on what shocks. So i just got some Monroe shocks from O reilly as that was all they had.
Clearly whoever you talked to didn't know jack.
Shocks make all the difference in the world, and now you know why the monroe's are so cheap and no one recommends them.
Bilstiens are on national backorder, so you cant get them even if you wanted. Like I said give Sam a call.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have recently changed my back shocks because when I would drive over a bump or train tracks it sounded like my car would just bottom out or the tires were hitting the bump stops. Do springs go bad and how can you tell?
How fast are you hitting the bumps and/or train tracks?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

When hitting the tracks around 70 but its like not uneven but the bumps that I'm hitting I'm going maybe 20? It just feels like I have no type of suspension at this point, I hit a bump and it feels like it just rumble through the whole car. The only reason I notice the tracks is because I drive the same road every Sunday and just recently noticed that it hits harder than before and the road has been worked on and is in better shape than before.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sorry to say it, but the shocks you purchased are garbage and maybe even worse than your worn out originals. As stated above, your best bet is to talk to Sam and get some REAL shocks that are suited for your needs.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Sorry to say it, but the shocks you purchased are garbage and maybe even worse than your worn out originals. As stated above, your best bet is to talk to Sam and get some REAL shocks that are suited for your needs.
man that blows, just bought these as well. Looks like i'll be hitting up Strano, thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Also check the condition of your bumpstops, and check the exhaust pipe where it goes over the axle for signs of wear(axle hitting it).

Have you measured your rear ride height(top of wheelwell arch to ground)?

Springs can get bent, I replaced a set of rear eibach pro-kit springs that were bent ; just from 3 yrs of daily driving!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Also check the condition of your bumpstops, and check the exhaust pipe where it goes over the axle for signs of wear(axle hitting it).

Have you measured your rear ride height(top of wheelwell arch to ground)?

Springs can get bent, I replaced a set of rear eibach pro-kit springs that were bent ; just from 3 yrs of daily driving!
no have not checked my height, is there a normal height or something I should be looking for after checking? How would I check the bumpstops?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

When hitting the tracks around 70 but its like not uneven but the bumps that I'm hitting I'm going maybe 20? It just feels like I have no type of suspension at this point, I hit a bump and it feels like it just rumble through the whole car. The only reason I notice the tracks is because I drive the same road every Sunday and just recently noticed that it hits harder than before and the road has been worked on and is in better shape than before.
Remember, you aren't driving the General Lee! The springs take the initial brunt of the bumps and these cars don't have a lot of travel. (You have even less travel since you have an SS - maybe less if you are lowered.) So regardless, 70 over tracks and 20 over speed bumps is probably pushing it shouldn't be a surprise that you are fully compressing your springs. (Unless you make your car in to a monster truck or a rally car, you probably won't be able to hit these obstacles at these speeds.)

Over time, your springs will wear some, but not like a shock will. So, its probably normal that they don't feel like-new. The shocks you have now will not do your SS justice and should be better matched better to the car. If you want the whole suspension to feel like-new, you might consider getting a new spring/shock set. As said above, Sam Strano would be a good person to talk to about this. In addition to shocks, he can give you great insight in to your springs, as well. (You might also search for some of his posts here on springs.)
Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Remember, you aren't driving the General Lee! The springs take the initial brunt of the bumps and these cars don't have a lot of travel. (You have even less travel since you have an SS - maybe less if you are lowered.) So regardless, 70 over tracks and 20 over speed bumps is probably pushing it shouldn't be a surprise that you are fully compressing your springs. (Unless you make your car in to a monster truck or a rally car, you probably won't be able to hit these obstacles at these speeds.)

Over time, your springs will wear some, but not like a shock will. So, its probably normal that they don't feel like-new. The shocks you have now will not do your SS justice and should be better matched better to the car. If you want the whole suspension to feel like-new, you might consider getting a new spring/shock set. As said above, Sam Strano would be a good person to talk to about this. In addition to shocks, he can give you great insight in to your springs, as well. (You might also search for some of his posts here on springs.)
lol yeah i am leaning more to getting a spring/shock kit. Are the bilsteins from slp package any good?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

lol yeah i am leaning more to getting a spring/shock kit. Are the bilsteins from slp package any good?
That's what I put on my WS6 and they do great for normal driving. They handle very near to what I remember the car doing when it was delivered from the factory. (I didn't replace the springs, though. I only go over rail road tracks at 55 mph.)
Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
That's what I put on my WS6 and they do great for normal driving. They handle very near to what I remember the car doing when it was delivered from the factory. (I didn't replace the springs, though. I only go over rail road tracks at 55 mph.)
lol man you got to live a little 70 over the tracks are what all the cool kids are doing now a days. I noticed that strano has the slp shocks a little cheaper than getting them from slp. Time to save up.