Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New springs, 18's, questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New springs, 18's, questions

So right now, I am riding on 18" zo6 replicas. What I'm wondering is, with the Eibach sport lines, will I have issues? I figure a hammer and dolly to roll the lips, and maybe a hammer on the inner wheel wells, but other then that I should be fine? I also have been reading that lowering the car affects the geometry, and LCA relocation brackets are needed. Well, what if I get the UMI adjustable LCA and panhard bar kit from ws6store.com? Will I need the relocation brackets, or no. If I do not get the adjustable, then relocation kit for both, and just non adjustables? Would they have enough fitment for me to help eliminate wheel hop? And what if I put my stock 16's back on, with some drag radials for the track, would I have to re-align my suspension again for the smaller wheels? Sorry for all the questions, I am just making sure so that I can hopefully make the right choice the first time, unlike I have on other parts.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First why sportlines? FWIW, will give worst performance in all situations, drag, handling, ride.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Well I got a good deal on them, $75 bucks. I would love stranos, but right now it is kind of out of my budget. I figured, sport lines because the look is good, with some decent shocks, and for the time being (year or two) for a weekend car it would be fine till I step it up to strano/koni combo.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Search for sportlines, I haven't found anyone that likes them compared to another aftermarket spring. You might find some that have no other experience with other springs say they are "ok", but that will be the best of it. Beating the dead horse, the drop is too low for the spring rate. I wouldn't touch the springs for free.
What exactly are you looking to do, improve handling or just get the stance?
And for a wheel that wide you will probably have to roll your fenders. And yes when lowering it is recommended (very much so in your case, since you have wider wheels) to have an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear end.
LCA's and relocation brackets not needed unless your looking into more of a drag setup.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You got them for $75 for a reason . . . they are junk . . . .

I'd run a Pro-Kit long before Sportlines . . . A +2" drop is rediculous . . .

Oh and I hate the ProKit too . . .
Old 08-28-2008, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Well it looks like I'll look around for a better set up. I was going to run a PHB anyway, to help set it up so I would gain some traction again. I was already planing on rolling the lip to help fit the tires. I wanted these for the stance, temporarily, untill I can get the stranos. This is a weekend street car, with occasional strip use (been 3 times in the last 6 months, need new clutch before I go again). I'm not to worried about handling, if you are refering to a track type set up, just lower and slightly stiffer around turns. I wanted good shocks to help with ride smoothness though. I'll look in the classifieds for some springs, I did see someone selling bilstien shocks and prokit combo on there. If I can't find a good deal, and I do run these, what are decent shocks for the time being?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

PHB won't help with traction any, it just re-centers the rear end(the axle will be pushed more to the drivers side after being lowered).
Why spend money twice on the same part? Why not just buy Konis now, use the lower perch in the front/ heater hose on the rear spring and be done with shocks? Then if you want to lower more get the spring later.
You might just want to call up Sam Strano and have a talk with him about what you want out of the car, he will be more help than me.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

True. But 800 for konis right now is just out of my reach. I'll just sell off the springs, and wait it out for the stranos. and what do you mean by lower perch in the front, heater hose on the rear? I've never really been in this section, so I don't know of these things.