Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone have data on brake swap performance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have data on brake swap performance?

I am interested in doing a brake upgrade to my 02 WS6. I am doing it for two reasons, first I want the car to stop better and 2 I need some space filled in my 18's.

So I guess my first question is do any of you have data on what kind of performace improvement did you see when going to a C5 or C6 set up and if you were going to do it which would you go with? How much feet did you cut off the stock distance?

I also might be able to pick up C6 Z06 caliper and rotors. My car is mainly street use so please tell me what you think. Please keep in mind that the C6Z set I can get from GM's website for like 841 so it really isn't much more than what I have been seeing for the C5/C6 upgrades. There is the whole fitting them with the wheels problem that I am not sure that I want to deal with.

Let me know what you guys think...worth upgrading from stock? I need to get some bigger rotors in there to fill the wheels...let me know what you guys think. All brake experts please let me know what you think!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

....Also I have been reading that the pistion diameter is larger in the Fbody than the C5 caliper, so would it be best to get the caliper relocation brackets from UMI so I can run a larger diameter rotor with the stock calipers?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Restricted User

I wouldn't go with C6 calipers unless you have C6 wheels or know FOR SURE that your current wheels will fit. There is also a give and take w/ C5 brakes vs. LS1's There's a guy on another thread that just chimed in about that. He has two almost identical F bodies, one with C5 brakes, and one with stock brakes and he says he notices a HUGE difference between stopping power when going from one to another. C5 brakes are a good upgrade over stock for sure, you can also sell your stockers to someone with an LT1 car after you swap 'em out.

PS: See sig

Last edited by socmguy; 09-02-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have any data on the performance increase between stock and C5 or 6?

Isn't there a mechanical advantage to running a larger rotor which will decrease stopping distance? If so would stock calipers be better than a C5 when comparing the two directly, both with larger rotors.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, can you lock up your tires (or get ABS to activate if you have it) with your current brakes? If so, bigger brakes will not help you unless you're overheating your current brakes. Tires are the most important thing when it comes to stopping.

P.S. I don't know how you can buy yourself bigger rims and then put Kumho rubber on them.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dragonrage
First of all, can you lock up your tires (or get ABS to activate if you have it) with your current brakes? If so, bigger brakes will not help you unless you're overheating your current brakes. Tires are the most important thing when it comes to stopping.

P.S. I don't know how you can buy yourself bigger rims and then put Kumho rubber on them.

The tires are really good, much better than BFG in my opinion and are for sure wider so you dont get that not so good stretched look on a 11" wide wheel, even though the tire is a 295. I guess you have a different opinion...they hook and handle well and most likely I will try something different next time so I can get a feel for a different tire and then form my own opinion on whether or not I like Kumho.

Back on topic though, I figured I would make a post like this because I have done a search and couldn't find any sound data...actual mearsureable improvement or not that other members may have done. Surely with all the brake experts on here someone has done an A vs. B comparison of stopping improvement? Actual numbers and not just subjective feeling of an improvment.