Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Driving the TRZ with a spooled S60...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Driving the TRZ with a spooled S60...

Considering a spooled setup or the TRZ for the street? Here are my thoughts:

I'll confess, having never owned anything with a spool, that I didn't have any idea of how comfortable (or not) street driving would be. When I decided to go with the TRZ anti-roll bar drag setup, I guessed that it may not be possible at all...

Here's my current setup:
  • DLS S60 spooled with 3.53 gears
  • TRZ anti-roll bar including the upgraded panhard bar.
  • Spohn torque arm
  • SLP bolt-on sub frame connectors.
  • Wolfe 6 point chromoly rear deck bar version (fully welded, plus two additional tunnel braces to the main hoop)
  • MT ET Streets

Fighting the turn:
I was surprised that the tendency to "fight" a turn wasn't more pronounced. Turning around in the driveway wasn't an epic battle, but it does fight and the rear tires do jump around. I'm sure they would wear a good bit quicker, but if you want this setup that probably isn't your concern. The spool doesn't change normal driving very much, but the sharper you turn the more it fights you... but it isn't the epic battle some make it out to be.

Roll:
The total feel of the car has changed a lot, and it's hard to tell how much of that is due to the stiffer car versus the TRZ piece. I haven't made any launches due to the fact that the rear end is in break-in, but I can say that the car doesn't seem to roll. When I say that, I mean to say that the car doesn't roll - period. If you make any kind of quick steering adjustment the nose points and plants. There isn't any "fall" to the opposite direction. It's very alien feeling, but nothing too uncomfortable for the street.

Noise:
One of my biggest concerns was noise. Before these updates, the Spohn torque arm had added a good bit of noise - especially when reversing or starting a roll in first. Oddly enough, that noise seems to be missing now. There are NO rattles in the interior, which is really neat. I get one solid "clunk" when I turn sharply to the right at slow speeds, then nothing (oddly enough, I get nothing turning left). Going over speed bumps (slowly) yields two "thuds". Highway speeds are perfectly quiet, just like stock... even the turns are quiet.

Things may change and loosen up, but as of now I'm pleased with my results. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of times I can cut with the new setup. I've seen a TRZ posting here suggesting folks disconnect one of the linkages for street use, but I'm wondering how necessary that is... if it doesn't cause some safety issue, I'm going to leave it be.

Just a note: One thing that ISN'T exaggerated is the noise the Weldon external pumps make! These things may work great but they're really loud... below 40 and I can still hear it, with the tops out and the windows down (and it's isolated on rubber). It's bound to get unwanted attention... too bad I'm still on the stock engine.

I'll update more after I get more driving in this weekend.

Pictures:

The pump of loud insanity, mounting position:

Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

Nice work there. Let us know how the track testing goes. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Launching!

So, is there an issue with leaving the ARB linkages attached? I don't want to break anything, and I certainly don't want the setup to be unsafe.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
FormerVendor

No issue. You should be fine. Having a spool, you will feel it hopping around corners less if you detached one of the links though, will let the car twist a bit.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TTT

Anyone else driving this on the street? Hread you "shouldn't" but has anyone had any problems? havn't hear of anyone bending anything or breaking a endlink bracket off?

Quick Reply: Driving the TRZ with a spooled S60...