Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what would it take for our 98-02 F-Bodies to out handle an STi/EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what would it take for our 98-02 F-Bodies to out handle an STi/EVO?

Just wondering what mods we would have to do to get our cars to keep up with the STi/EVO guys in the corners?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of driver training But seriously, there's a reason that the EVO's are in a higher solo racing class than the F-Bodies in stock and street prepared. They are just excellent handling cars.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Teching In

The nut behind the wheel is the most important thing. As far as same driver scenario, I'd imagine with koni's and strano springs, along with upgraded swaybars, you'd be in the same ballpark as those cars stock. Good tires are necessary of course. After all that, they'd still win in longevity. Those cars are more racecar-like than f-bodies, there's no way around that. You'd need some brake upgrades and other mods to keep up in HPDE or time trials..
Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

All wheel drive!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

theyre only better on tight, short autoxs. on any real track, a properly equiped f-body will walk away from them.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing that helps them out is that they have a shorter wheel base. But as Echo said they would do better on a short tight track rather than a real one.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
theyre only better on tight, short autoxs. on any real track, a properly equiped f-body will walk away from them.
This is very true and what most people do not add into the equation...
Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Absolutely the truth!! Put them on a real track w/corners that have exit speeds or mid corner speeds of 90 mph or more.........the f-body will walk hard!!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mike#9
Absolutely the truth!! Put them on a real track w/corners that have exit speeds or mid corner speeds of 90 mph or more.........the f-body will walk hard!!!!
agreed, these cars are good at exiting corners at high speeds. 4wd helps the sti/evo cornering at the more sharp slower speed corners, the f-bodys with a sway bar setup and other aftermarket suspension(springs/shock etc.) will be right there with the sti/evo's.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
All wheel drive!
that = #1.

this is also very true...

Old 09-18-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trexbob
The nut behind the wheel is the most important thing. As far as same driver scenario, I'd imagine with koni's and strano springs, along with upgraded swaybars, you'd be in the same ballpark as those cars stock. Good tires are necessary of course. After all that, they'd still win in longevity. Those cars are more racecar-like than f-bodies, there's no way around that. You'd need some brake upgrades and other mods to keep up in HPDE or time trials..
True those cars are more built like race cars than the fbody is. So autox type races with equal driver skill, the evo and sti will have an upper hand. Though if you have an ESP setup fbody then it should be neck and neck with an AS sti or evo.

I also disagree that if you slapped an AWD system on the camaro it would make it better. AWD isn't always better. RWD and AWD have their benefits and their weaknesses
Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
True those cars are more built like race cars than the fbody is. So autox type races with equal driver skill, the evo and sti will have an upper hand. Though if you have an ESP setup fbody then it should be neck and neck with an AS sti or evo.

I also disagree that if you slapped an AWD system on the camaro it would make it better. AWD isn't always better. RWD and AWD have their benefits and their weaknesses
ESP setup?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ESP?? I an curious as well ESP? wait i got-- extra sensory perception? naahhh ...must be Extra Suspension Performance??
Old 09-18-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

E Street Prepared (ESP), SCCA solo autox class for fbody in street prepared
Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

On the Hwy a good driver and tires, Thats it

On a tight auto-x track or dirt road they do have the advantage.

I hate those cars more than mustangs.LOL!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Z28 I disagree. The STI's were in ESP for one year and they cleaned house at Nationals. The next year they were bumped to BSP, and let me tell yea the folks in BSP were not too happy about it either.

Personally I don't like to compare stock cars to modded cars because the stock car can also be modded which in all likelihood would make it faster as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Z28 I disagree. The STI's were in ESP for one year and they cleaned house at Nationals. The next year they were bumped to BSP, and let me tell yea the folks in BSP were not too happy about it either.

Personally I don't like to compare stock cars to modded cars because the stock car can also be modded which in all likelihood would make it faster as well.
Well according to the PAX index its neck and neck. PAX index isn't perfect by any means but its somewhat close. Do you think the AS sti or evo still has an upper hand over an ESP camaro?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Do you think the AS sti or evo still has an upper hand over an ESP camaro?
It depends on the most important factor, something that has been ignored in this thread... how much grip does the surface have?

As the available grip decreases, the advantage of being in a rally car increases.

You'll find (at least I have) that this is independent of the type or size of course.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ironhead
It depends on the most important factor, something that has been ignored in this thread... how much grip does the surface have?

As the available grip decreases, the advantage of being in a rally car increases.

You'll find (at least I have) that this is independent of the type or size of course.
Thats a good point. There's so many factors that can effect how two different cars can drive.

Chances are main factor is probably always going to come down to driver skill when these questions are asked anyway.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryanater
Just wondering what mods we would have to do to get our cars to keep up with the STi/EVO guys in the corners?
Independent rear suspension, and some engineering from honda/subaru/mitsubishi/mazda, since GM and Ford are pretty much complete ******* idiots when it comes to handling and ride quality. They just can't figure it out.

Quick Reply: what would it take for our 98-02 F-Bodies to out handle an STi/EVO?