Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I got rid of my UMI Adj Tunnel Mount TA

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got rid of my UMI Adj Tunnel Mount TA

I couldnt stand it. It worked very good but the banging just drove me crazy.
So today I ordered a NON Adj stock location UMI TA.
Now does the trans mount relocation bracket sound like the tunnel mount does?
Dont want to waste money if it does. Im already out a couple hundo on the Tunnel mount one.
(I never plan on changing ride height, thats why I went with the non adjustable)
Old 09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just wasted your money imo. My adj. UMI torque arm has zero banging. Mine is a full length transmission mounted arm though. You should have at least got the adjustable one.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Mine's been driving me crazy, too. I can't wait to swap it for an adjustable Spohn piece. I'd like to know if the relocation bracket is bad about noise too.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JScamaro
You just wasted your money imo. My adj. UMI torque arm has zero banging. Mine is a full length transmission mounted arm though. You should have at least got the adjustable one.
Im not going to lower the car ever, so an adjustable isnt needed.

Its the Tunnel mount TAs that make the noise. Its the floorboards flexing/banging. I know the trans mount area is stronger than the tunnel mount. So Im wondering what kind of noise I would expect from that?

The one I got is a full length one just not adjustable since I wont need it.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

I would use the relocation mount. Anything to get the TA off of the transmision is a good thing. I cracked my original transmision due to the stock style mount.

I would have bought the adjustable TA as well. It's always good to have the FREEDOM to change you pinion angle.

Also I highly doubt it was your floor, flexing and banging, I would put money that is was simply the poly bushing/solid bushing coupling that is used. It's gonna make noise, my spohn chassis mount TA was the same way.

Last edited by speedyhawk101; 09-18-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

It was def. the floorboards, and its not a fee mod if it cost 100 extra for it. LOL!

I figured, I know the cars ride height will never be dropped and Im a huge fan of stock rims on cars, so they arent changing either.
So why keep messing with the stupid thing, just to get it back to stock pinion angle anyways. Its a nice feature but I know it will go on, ill get it adjusted and then never touch it again so I said forget it and got the non adj one
Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im getting a UMI adj. arm & relocation trans bracket. I did not want any ground clearance issues & also did not want banging noises. Also, the tunnel mounted ones with the DSL wont work on certain exhaust set-ups, and I dont know what kind of exhaust im going to end up with.

AChotrod, If you get the UMI tranny relocation bracket, the clam shell on it is adjustable, incase you wanted to adjust the pinion.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Sweet! That solves that problem.
Does any one have the trans mount relocation pc. Do you have any noise issues with it?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

I've got the UMI trans mount with the torque arm relocation, NO noise at all!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

huh? why would you put your pinion angle at the stock angle?

that's like buying a nitrous kit but never filling the bottle.....

the point of an adjustable torque arm is to set your pinion angle to your liking..... I have mine set to -4, so I get max traction.

maybe that was your clunking noise, you could have not set your pinion angle correctly... it's very easy to mess up.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by danhr
huh? why would you put your pinion angle at the stock angle?

that's like buying a nitrous kit but never filling the bottle.....

the point of an adjustable torque arm is to set your pinion angle to your liking..... I have mine set to -4, so I get max traction.

maybe that was your clunking noise, you could have not set your pinion angle correctly... it's very easy to mess up.
Definitly Not.. I tried everything. I would change 5 times a day sometimes, I had it from +4/-6. I learned alot about adjusting it and whats good and bad.LOL

The thing worked extreamly good. It was just way too noisy for me. I also took to about 5 shops and had them adjust or check it. To make sure.
Somedays It would be ok other days it just sucked on a DD.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

not trying to say you dont know what you are doing.... but... did you have the suspension under a even load on all 4 corners and have the car on a level surface? I remember someone trying to set their pinion angle without the rear under a load and it was off by like 6 or 7 degrees.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Every time, never even tried it with the suspension suspended.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the UMI non-adjustable torque arm with the UMI trans mounted relocation cross member. There is no banging and some very slight vibration on hard acceleration. I think this more due to the torque arm being mounted in poly versus rubber. It is a very slight vibration. I am very happy with the setup and would recommend it. I hated my shifter moving around on hard shifts and this just makes the car feel so much better to bang through the gears. My car is also stock height and will remain that way.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Ive got the tunnel mounted T/A and the only problem I had was with the DSL sometimes making contact with the driveshaft...Other then that, I didnt pick up any new clunks. These cars vary so damn much....
Old 09-21-2008, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Spohn adj torque arm and the UMI relocation crossmember. It makes noise (banging/vibration) just like my old tunnel mounted arm. Not to mention the UMI crossmember didn't fit to begin with, had to enlarge all the mounting holes. I'm gonna be removing this thing after the next track visit. I noticed one of the guys at the top of this thread said no banging is an A4, prolly be quieter with an auto.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I have a Spohn adj torque arm and the UMI relocation crossmember. It makes noise (banging/vibration) just like my old tunnel mounted arm. Not to mention the UMI crossmember didn't fit to begin with, had to enlarge all the mounting holes. I'm gonna be removing this thing after the next track visit. I noticed one of the guys at the top of this thread said no banging is an A4, prolly be quieter with an auto.
That sucks! Does it still transfer the rear end noise to the inside of the car as bad as the tunnel mounted TA did?

Maybe the other guy with your setup had an A4 (I'm assuming you're an M6).

I'd hate to have to put it back on the tranny. Maybe I'll beef up the floor pan or something.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
That sucks! Does it still transfer the rear end noise to the inside of the car as bad as the tunnel mounted TA did?

Maybe the other guy with your setup had an A4 (I'm assuming you're an M6).

I'd hate to have to put it back on the tranny. Maybe I'll beef up the floor pan or something.
Yes noise is still transferred. My 12 bolt wines pretty good. Was bearable before but now is amplified thru the cabin just like w/my old tunnel torque arm. Still thuds when letting the clutch out too.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah mines a M6.
I was costantly messing with it. One degree here one degree there.....

It fit fine except when the suspension was fully dropped the DS loop would rub the weights on the DS. Other than that fit and finish was top notch. It also worked great. Perfomance wise!!!!

Its mounted to the floorboard and it really pretty flimsy. I already have sub frame connectors but but i think 3 point SFCs would work better. Mine are 2 point and welded in so im not changing that either.

Point is it not a good set up for a DD.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
. Not to mention the UMI crossmember didn't fit to begin with, had to enlarge all the mounting holes.
As mentioned in your thread posted early this was caused by a Energy Suspension poly transmission mount and not our crossmember. The mounts for some reason sit off centered when compared to a factory transmission mount.... I would highly recommend removing that poly transmission mount and installing a stock rubber mount to reduce the vibration and noise. You would be surprised in the difference that would make.