Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wheel bearing questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wheel bearing questions

I am getting a howl from the right front and am convinced its the wheel bearing. Is this a part I should replace in pairs? The car has 55K miles on it. Am I better off doing both of them, or can I save some $$$ and just do the right side?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just replace them as they fail. They're not exactly "cheap", and sometimes you get lucky and get one that lasts forever, and sometimes you get one that fails within a week .
Old 09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure it's the bearing and not the tire . . . .
Old 09-24-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm 90% sure its the wheel bearing...the tires have less than 1000 miles on them, the sound started suddenly and varies with speed, but doesn't change when going around corners or braking.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Jack the front of the car up and, with the wheel on, check for slack in the bearing by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and shaking it...
Replace them as they go, our cars front wheel bearings come as a hub, bearing, ABS sensor assembly and they aren't cheap. They are, however, easy to replace.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
I'm 90% sure its the wheel bearing...the tires have less than 1000 miles on them, the sound started suddenly and varies with speed, but doesn't change when going around corners or braking.
if you raise the front of the car up off the ground, then spin the wheels (therefore, taking tires out of the equation), do you hear any difference in sound between the two front wheels?

it is possible to get sound coming from brakes, also, so be sure to double-check to make sure a rock or some other foreign object hasn't made its way in between the pad & the rotor....should be easy to tell, as it will generally leave gouges or markings on the rotor, but it may be a good idea to inspect the pads, anyway, especially if it's been a while since they were replaced.

otherwise, it's likely the bearing, so just replace as needed.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nabdrill
Jack the front of the car up and, with the wheel on, check for slack in the bearing by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and shaking it...
Replace them as they go, our cars front wheel bearings come as a hub, bearing, ABS sensor assembly and they aren't cheap. They are, however, easy to replace.
It is about 230 for a new GM hub ASM.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing questions