Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Couple More Brake Questions, What about this Pad/Rotor Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple More Brake Questions, What about this Pad/Rotor Combo?

My other thread died and I wasn't seeming to get any answers so here ya go. I'm looking into this combo at the moment:

http://www.bsibrakes.com/index.asp?p...ducts&item=974

Questions:
-How will this combo stop as opposed to stock? As opposed to Brembo Blanks/Hawk HPS's?
-How bad will brake dust be?
-Are stainless steel lines worth it for a street car? If they don't make that much difference then forget it but if they really help I may as well do them

I've never done any brake work before, so whats involved? I'm going to install my Koni/Strano/UMI setup in my sig when I do the brakes so keep that in mind. I've helped a buddy bleed his brakes but I was the pedal pumper and just did what he said.
-How do you bleed F-body brakes?
-Also what fluid are you guys using? DOT4?
-My car has 113k, is it necesary to rebuild the calipers?
-Any special break in procedure after i get everything back together?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the noobishness!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can answer some of the questions....

yes, you should probably rebuild the calipers at that mileage. There is a vendor here that will send you a rebuilt, powdercoated set and you send in your junk ones.

stainless lines will help pedal feel and response

you should follow the break in procedure that comes with your pads...Hawk HPS has it right on the box

don't mess with drilled rotors unless you want the look...they do virtually nothing for braking and can crack if you are aggressive with them.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bluestrat
My other thread died and I wasn't seeming to get any answers so here ya go. I'm looking into this combo at the moment:

http://www.bsibrakes.com/index.asp?p...ducts&item=974

Questions:
-How will this combo stop as opposed to stock? As opposed to Brembo Blanks/Hawk HPS's?
-How bad will brake dust be?
-Are stainless steel lines worth it for a street car? If they don't make that much difference then forget it but if they really help I may as well do them

I've never done any brake work before, so whats involved? I'm going to install my Koni/Strano/UMI setup in my sig when I do the brakes so keep that in mind. I've helped a buddy bleed his brakes but I was the pedal pumper and just did what he said.
-How do you bleed F-body brakes?
-Also what fluid are you guys using? DOT4?
-My car has 113k, is it necesary to rebuild the calipers?
-Any special break in procedure after i get everything back together?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the noobishness!
I've heard HPS dust a little more, but its easier to clean off of wheels than the OEM brake dust which tends to cake onto your wheels. I'm not sure if stopping power would be much different honestly if you used drilled rotors over brembos.

I'd never used drilled just behind the whole idea of them. They are well known to not help but to hurt you in high performance applications. Plus the whole idea of "I want to look fast" doesn't make sense to me. I don't think they will kill you if you use them for daily driving. Just make sure you keep an eye on cracking around the holes, often.