Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should I be worried about my Tie Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Should I be worried about my Tie Rods?

Alright, so ever sine I got my car it's been doing this. If I hit the brakes hard, turn my wheel all the way, and just now coming home, I turned my wheel all the way, and when my front tires hit my driveway I heard a loud noise from the front. You can feel it too. its like a loud CLICK/Clank sound from the tire area.

Recently when i had the front of my car off the ground I did the "3 & 9" position on my tires and they had a little play in them. Also when i'm driving over potholes or some bumps when I hit the brakes, sometimes the car gets pulled around.

What should I do here?
Thanks guys
Old 10-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont you inspect your suspension and tell us if you should be worried???
Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd say that if the wheels are off the ground and they have any side-to-side play in them, i'd get it looked at...it could be the tie rods, the ball joints, or possibly the wheel bearings.

if you're doing it yourself, check the tie rods first to see if the jam nuts on them have loosened up or anything, and wiggle the ball joints to see if there's any play in them. if there's play in the ball joints when wiggling them by hand, they're bad and need to be replaced...they should be nice & tight.

also, with the front end off the ground, try wiggling the wheels from top to bottom, as if you were trying to lay them down on their sides, and see if there's any slop/play in them that way, which would indicate bad wheel bearings.

you can also have someone else turn the wheel to the 3/9 positions while you're under the car, so you can narrow down where the clunking noise is coming from.

Originally Posted by Dex
Why dont you inspect your suspension and tell us if you should be worried???
wow, that's really helpful.....
Old 10-04-2008, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Yeah seriously, if everyone did that this site wouldn't exist.

Thanks Z28, I appreciate it. There was some play in it when I did the test, and this noise and the way the car pulls sometimes doesn't make me feel any better. I'm probably going to get it looked at then. Thanks again man