Texas title transfer questions???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas title transfer questions???

I recently just purchased my 1997 Camaro SS from a private seller, and he had bought the vehicle from original owner about 3 months prior to selling it to me. The guy that sold me the car never titled it in his name, but does have the title signed from previous owner and himself on back of title, he also has a bill of sale between himself and original owner. So I just printed off a Bill of Sale, went to my bank and had all the paperwork notarized, copies of drivers licenses, and did a cashiers check for more proof of my purchase...I now am going to attempt to transfer title in my name this Friday, and also get new plates for the car, my question is will I run into any issues since the title is not in the guys name that sold it to me?Any help please...
Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

I did the same thing recently. I didn't have any problems. All you need is the title to get a new title in your name. The title office won't ask for any notarized documents. They didn't ask who I paid or bought the car from and I didn't say. I knew the guy I got the car from was the new owner who just didn't change the title and I knew the car wasn't stolen, so I didn't worry about it. I went in with my signed and filled out title, paid the tax, and was given a new sticker and my title was mailed a couple of weeks later.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if someone else already signed the back where the purchaser is supposed to sign how did you get it transfered?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

If the guy you bought it from signed the title they wont let you register it. You will have to do a title reassignment. That involves going back to the original owner and having him fill out a form saying that it was sold to you not the guy you bought it from. it can be some bs or have the guy that you bought it from register it then give it to you as a gift that would be the easiest way
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
If the guy you bought it from signed the title they wont let you register it. You will have to do a title reassignment. That involves going back to the original owner and having him fill out a form saying that it was sold to you not the guy you bought it from. it can be some bs or have the guy that you bought it from register it then give it to you as a gift that would be the easiest way
Correct! texas will collect sales tax each time the vehicle sales.. Your two options have been listed above although I doubt that the person you bought it from will register in his name to avoid the taxes. Since the guy that sold it to you has his money and it is a done deal for him he may not want to get the previous owner to sign a statement of fact that it was never sold to him...

gilbert
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
I recently had to go through this very same situation. There was a form that the original owner had to sign to correct the title. Luckily, I was able to find the original owner.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Teching In

I just did that a few weeks ago when i bought my 00 SS, The guy had the car financed and then he paid the bank, so it went from the bank owning it to the dude, then it went to me. Just be prepared to have the county rape you in taxes, its not a lot but they put the car mileage in the computer and then they tell you what the car is worth and tax you on what the computer said. They said my car was worth $5,200 for a 00 SS with 72,000 miles and I paid $400 in taxes.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Yep, this happened to me. Only a little different. I bought my car from a guy and we both signed the title. I went to change the title in my name only my DL was expired and no good. They told me I couldn't switch the title into my name without a current DL?? BULLSHIT! I argued with them for a while over this saying so If I was paralized and couldn't drive but wanted to own a car in my garage I couldn't buy it myself? Anyways, so then I just wanted to put it in my girls name. So they were like well you have to find the original owner and have him sign a paper saying he sold it to her and not you...stupid ****. I was the person he sold it to standing right next to the person I wanted the title to go to. Huge hassle..
Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

ill try to get him to give me the original sellers information...he works with the guy so it shouldnt be too hard, i hope. if not i will file a lawsuit aganst the guy who sold it to me if he does not want to cooperate.