Almost lost her this morning :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost lost her this morning :(

As i left this morning, the g/f thought shed tell me to drive carefuly, so of course i jokingly say im going to do some burnouts. kissed her goodbye and im on my way. my street tires are coming off next week for nittos again, and they are almost at the ware indicator. VERY old tires tho. to be cautious, im starting from every stop in 2nd gear so i dont accidently do something stupid. as i am going up the ramp onto President George Bush turnpike right after Frankford road, there is a tool booth right as you merge on. just so everyone knows, i wasnt hotrodding it and it was in 6th at the time. Right as im deciding what lane to go into, the car jerks hard right hydroplaning, so i let it do its thing then it jerks hard left and i proceed to see people coming straight towards me, thats when i locked the breaks and turned the wheel the opposite direction. all i remember seeing is the world spinning around me, and all i heard was squeeling and what ended up happening was i did a 180, then a 180 again back in the right direction, and plowed through the lane dividers with the side of my car, and stopped about 5 ft away from the toolbooth baracade. im scared shitless. i throw on my flashers and notice the car died. started it back up to the tach not working... reved it up a few tiems to ensure it was on, and limped my baby through a lane and pulled over right after the booths. by the time i parked her, the tach was back on line. the steering wheel is a little off due to the steering my *** out of dieing. i then proceed to limp to work. everything is fine on the car, maybe be a few scratches from the lane dividers but other then that, i want to thank god that im ok. **** could have been horibly if people were in the lanes. as i got to work i parked under a lightpole and checked out teh car. everyting seems to be ok except for a freaking chipped RIM!!!! left front rim is chipped like a little bigger then a quarter. good thing i have connections at a chevy dealer for a discounted OEM rim. btw, im getting new tires today! considering its goign to rain the rest of the week....just thought that i would inform everyone of my terrible morning
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW glad your ok!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Launching!

glad to hear you're ok. that's why i don't drive my car in the rain. i learned a long time ago when i hydroplaned my lt1 camaro at about 60 mph that rain > fbodies
Old 03-11-2009, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

(trying to lighten the mood here - no offense meant)...SO....did you have a change of underwear with you?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to hear you and your car are OK, OP.

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
rain > fbodies
Strange... I've driven F-bodies for the past 10 years (not right now, though...) through rain, ice, sleet and snow here in North Texas nad have never ever had a problem with hydroplaning etc.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duffster
(trying to lighten the mood here - no offense meant)...SO....did you have a change of underwear with you?
you JERK!!! ha jkjk... luckily, i didnt wet myself no lol

Originally Posted by Texfinn

Strange... I've driven F-bodies for the past 10 years (not right now, though...) through rain, ice, sleet and snow here in North Texas nad have never ever had a problem with hydroplaning etc.
ya i have never either, even with my nittos, i have felt the rear lift a few tiems but never lost control.. i must have hit it just right this morning... just glad no ther cars were around!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02ws666
you JERK!!! ha jkjk... luckily, i didnt wet myself no lol

ya i have never either, even with my nittos, i have felt the rear lift a few tiems but never lost control.. i must have hit it just right this morning... just glad no ther cars were around!
DUDE!!!! That sucks! Im glad your ok... I would have wet my self! Not because I would have scared "my self" but my daughters in the car with me in the mornings...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
9 Second Club

Glad to hear you're ok! Similar thing happened to me. Our F-bodies are pretty scary in the rain. My Pirelli's are HORRENDOUS when it's wet or really cold out.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

I've been in the same situation, but with my two buddies tagging along. We did 3 360s and ended up in a median. It was raining and about 15 cars were less than a 1/4 of a mile behind us. If they'd been any closer, we probably would've been really hurt. The crappy part is that NOT ONE of the witnesses stopped to see if we were okay. Glad to hear you're okay man.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 PM
11Second Club

Just a few months after buying my car, I tried to pass a guy going like 45 on 635, and when I got in the next lane over, I dropped from 6th to 5th and the car spun around him doing a 180. I'm headlight to headlight with the guy I was trying to pass. I then proceeded to slide off the side of the road and hit a light pole. I have since learned to exercise EXTREME caution in the rain with my car.

Now that I have the D1-SC, I just don't drive in the rain... ever.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to hear you are ok. Try to get yourself a little daily driver that is a bit more rain friendly.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Launching!

you are either a very cautious and responsible driver or you have incredible luck, that's all i have to say. every time it rains threads like this pop up everywhere. it rained in dallas yesterday and now there's this thread and one about a white SS wrecked out on 190. these cars notoriously suck in the rain, and it's not just 4th gens because the 3rd gens were just as bad. folks just need to be careful if they drive these cars in the rain, because eventually your luck just runs out
Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
you are either a very cautious and responsible driver or you have incredible luck, that's all i have to say.
Maybe I should try the lottery or go gambling.

Seriously, though, I have always wondered why these things happen to so many people when it rains... Either people are not telling what happened exactly (not referring in any way to OP, or the other guy who wrecked his SS today) or maybe I've just been extremely lucky.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I should try the lottery or go gambling.

Seriously, though, I have always wondered why these things happen to so many people when it rains... Either people are not telling what happened exactly (not referring in any way to OP, or the other guy who wrecked his SS today) or maybe I've just been extremely lucky.
even in my nittos i can always control the car... it just went pyscho today. i wouldnt go as far as saying they SUCK in the rain, but i would say that today, i was the unluck one! maybe tehre was an oil spot on the road. plus today was the frist time it had rained ina long while
Old 03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

One morning I was leaving my house and it was pouring down rain; my girlfriend said "be careful in the rain"...
I ended up hydroplaning and totaling my car!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yalls G/F's must have some 6th senses or something. Good thing you and the car are ok...
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Damn man be careful! Happened to me once by just doing 55 on the highway!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i noticed last night. that with teh spare on the front left, at about 15mph, i have a kinda whiney/grindy sound coming form the front left... ne ideas as to what it is? im getting the original rim put back on today and an alignment done. suspension/ power steering damage? the only thing that the car hit was those bumps on the road to remind you to slow down, and then those little white stick lane divider things....
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

wheel bearing?

glad to see you were ok!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
wheel bearing?

glad to see you were ok!

god i hope not!!! but i guess it could be considering the weird anlge the tires may havebeen at and what not...

ya im ok, just hope the car is now!! thx guys!