Puppy Question-Parvo

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Puppy Question-Parvo

So my neighbors dog got Parvo and the poor thing died. Then our puppy started getting sick. He was real lethargic wouldn't eat nor drink. Took him to the vet and he got Parvo. Vet says 50/50 chance he could make it if in their care. It would cost something like a million dollars to keep him there as long as she wanted. Told her what home treatments I could do. She was really really against me taking him home. Had no choice but didn't want to give up. It's been 2 weeks and he's doing MUCH better almost back to normal. My question is does anyone know how long till he rids himself from it? He's acting like as if nothing happened to him. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.essortment.com/all/parvowhatcant_opc.htm
Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

I've done plenty of research. I just wanted to know if anyone here had a puppy that made it from being diagnosed with Parvo? Everyone that has been able to comment on this tells me my dog should be dead. He never got the loose stools or the vomiting. Anyone have their dog not die?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I had a puppy that survived Parvo, it was when I was really young. I had to get up in the middle of the night for a couple weeks to give him the pills and make him swallow them. He had it really bad too, but he pulled through.

I am pretty sure we had to have our lawn treated as well.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Boxer had parvo and lived. We had to leave him at the animal hospital every night for about a week, so they can keep fluids in him through an IV. After we brought him home, we made him grilled chicken and rice to eat and made him drink pedialyte for his dehydration.

We would then put him in the shower as we ran really hot water to get the room full of steam and just let him walk around in there while the steam made him spit out all the fluids that were in his lungs.

It was a crappy time, but he made it through and is doing great. It was worth the money.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome news! Your dog is too cute! We spent endless nights in shifts giving him his IV at home along with his Pedialyte on the hour everyhour along with his meds. I'm very hopeful that he is going to make a full recovery. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Did you get the needed shots for your dog?
Also, Parvo can come back later on if the immune system becomes compromised due to other illnesses.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

No shots as of yet. He has an appointment on the 16th. Then he will get shots and what have you. I hope it doesn't make a return. I wanted to punch my neighbor. LOL
Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a pit pup that got it from the shelter i got him from. took about a week for it to take effect. shitty thing was that the shelter knew that they had an outbreak of it and failed to mention it to me. He didnt survive it, AND i had to treat me ENTIRE house and yard. I went as far to wait another year to get a dog just to be on the safe side so it didnt get it from the previous dog i had. 2 years later and its all good.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a german sheperd pup that died at 2 months from it, 2 months later got a mutt pup, got parvo, recovered from parvo. then the sonofabitch got run over
Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, he can survive. I had a German shepherd puppy that got Parvo and lived, but it does require hospitalization and is not cheap. If you take him home, he will likely not make it.